[Media-watch] Saddam could die before trial - of stroke (and hasn't seen lawyers)

Sigi D sigi_here at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 09:58:25 BST 2004

Hello dear MW friends,
the Times of India reports that Saddam could die
before his trial. He had a stroke.
They also say that neither his lawyers nor their
doctors were allowed to see him.
The Times of India also says  Bush and Blair would
find it convenient if Saddam died of ill health
...Very convenient.
Was that why  Saddam wasn't put in front of the
international Court?
I know he is a terrible torturer and ruthless
dictator.
But WE are a democracy. We don't do this kind of
stuff.

But this is happening - somehow '"in an interim" way -
in  our names.
encl. URL and copy of article.
Best,
http://www.worldpress.org/link.cfm?http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/794680.cms
http://www.worldpress.org/link.cfm?http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/794680.cms
Saddam could die before trial
TIMESOFINDIA.COM[ FRIDAY, JULY 30, 2004 05:37:27 AM ]

One of Saddam Hussein's lawyers has said that the
deposed Iraqi president has suffered a stroke and
expressed concern that he could die even before his
trial.

Saddam’s lawyers are still trying to get a permission
to see him. They said on Wednesday, they got the
information from the Red Cross that his health has
majorly deteriorated.

Jordanian lawyer Mohammed al-Rashdan, one of an
international team of lawyers preparing to defend
Saddam, told British daily The Mirror that a brain
scan had indicated the stroke.

"We understand from the International Committee of the
Red Cross that our client has had a brain scan to
discover how badly he has been affected by the
stroke," al-Rashdan was quoted as saying.

"We believe he could die because of his health
problems. We also think an attempt may be made on his
life."

Saddam's defence team, which includes former Dundee
director Giovanni di Stefano, is demanding that their
own doctor be allowed to see Saddam.

Al-Rashdan also claimed that Saddam had been suffering
from "a number of headaches" and "has had a heart
problem of some kind."

Al-Rashdan also argued that under the Geneva
Convention, the defence team was entitled access to
Saddam. But, all requests have been ignored, he said.

Rashdan added: "I think President Bush and Prime
Minister Blair would be happier if he died from ill
health. Then the problem would go away."