[Media-watch] US Group seeks to 'balance' news coverage from Iraq - Editor & Publisher/AP - 1/7/2004

Julie-ann Davies jadavies2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 13:54:01 BST 2004

The Iraq-America Freedom Alliance have a site at: http://www.untoldiraq.org/
JA
_____________

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000559399

US group seeks to 'balance' news coverage from Iraq
By Ron Word, Associated Press Writer

Published: July 01, 2004

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) Sgt. Chris Beard suffered shrapnel wounds to his
face, back and spine when a roadside bomb exploded next to his Humvee in
Iraq late last year.

But he joined a coalition of Americans and Iraqis on Wednesday as the group
emphasized the improvements being made in the war-torn country.

The Iraq-America Freedom Alliance said it wanted to counter news reports
focusing on attacks and kidnappings by insurgents.

"I just want to make sure we balance it," said Beard, a Florida Army
National Guard soldier. "From my experience, they were thankful for us being
there."

Since the fall of Saddam Hussein, more than 3,000 Iraqi schools have been
renovated, 9 million new math and science textbooks have been printed and
improvements have been made to utilities and health care, said retired Maj.
General Ronald O. Harrison, former adjutant general of the National Guard in
Florida.

"Our men and women who are making the sacrifices on behalf of our nation are
not focusing on the negatives and the obstacles as they interact daily with
the citizens of Iraq," Harrison said. "Americans' helping hands are
everywhere."

Of those fighting U.S. efforts, Beard said: "There are bad apples who want
to spoil it for everyone."

The group is committed to fostering good will between the United States and
Iraq and winning the war on terrorism. While its parent organization is
headed by conservatives, including Jack Kemp, Steve Forbes and Jeanne
Kirkpatrick, it lists both Republicans and Democrats on its board of
advisers.

"We cannot afford to let the good news go untold," Harrison said. "It's not
all chaos. Iraq is not burning in all areas."