[Media-watch] EU "anarchist" letter bombs.

Stephen McKee stephen_mckee at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 7 20:24:38 GMT 2004

It always seemed highly unlikely to me that Italian anarchists would be
behind the recent letter bombs.  Not least because of the possibility of
injuring or killing postal workers or others.  Furthermore, the claimed
motive behind the bombings were "increased migration and EU integration".
These do not sound like anarchist motives (anarchists are pro open borders,
and are internationalist in outlook).  And quite apart from the fact that
anarchists abhor coercion, and renounce terrorism, the effect of these
bombings is likely to be an EU-wide crack down on anarchists.
Counter-productive to say the least. Why, I wondered, are the press so ready
to accept that this is the work of anarchists?

So I was interested to read this today, from one of the UK anarchist
organisations: