[Media-watch] Electronic Iraq News

David J McKnight david at milwr.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 16:51:47 GMT 2004

_______________________________

UPDATE FROM
ELECTRONIC IRAQ

http://electronicIraq.net
_______________________________

Opinion/Editorial
POINTING FORWARD, MOVING BACKWARDS
Hasan Abu Nimah, Electronic Iraq (15 December 2004)

The leaders of the global war on terror keep promising us
a future of democracy, peace, justice, respect for human
rights and dignity even as they make war, and chaos seems
to be erupting everywhere. In their sights is a world free
of the prevailing evil -- where bad people, and their
misguided beliefs, ignorance, fanaticism, hatred,
"anti-Semitism" and, worst of all, "terrorism" are no
longer allowed to impede our peaceful existence. Such a
world would, no doubt, be a wonderful place. The world has
never enjoyed total peace in the past, but the new kind of
conflict, in which traditional nation states fight against
invisible and shadowy groups, seems to hold a new kind of
horror.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1754.shtml

News & Analysis
U.S. MILITARY OBSTRUCTING MEDICAL CARE
Dahr Jamail, Electronic Iraq (13 December 2004)

The U.S. military has been preventing delivery of medical
care in several instances, medical staff say. Iraqi
doctors at many hospitals have reported raids by coalition
forces. Some of the more recent raids have been in
Amiriyat al-Fallujah, about 10km to the east of Fallujah,
the town to which U.S. forces have laid bloody siege.
Amiriyat al-Fallujah has been the source of several
reported resistance attacks on U.S. forces.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1752.shtml

News & Analysis
DEAD AND BURIED
Dahr Jamail, The Sunday Herald (13 December 2004)

In a small, one-room house in Sadr City lives Sua'ad, a
widow with eight young children. "I can do nothing but
look at my children and cry," she says, weeping throughout
our conversation. "What are children to do without their
father? No matter what I do, things will never be the same
again." Three months ago Sua'ad's 30-year-old husband,
Abdullah Rahman, was killed after being caught in
crossfire between US forces and the Mahdi Army of Shia
cleric Muqtada al-Sadr.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1751.shtml

Iraq Diaries
LA LA LAND
Maxine Nash, Electronic Iraq (13 December 2004)

Living here in Iraq I sometimes get a distinct sense of
unreality. Recently, I was working in CPT's office. My
colleague Tom Fox was in the office with me, working on
the computer. Next to the computer he had placed a
kerosene lamp so he could see the papers from which he was
working because the electricity was off. In Iraq, the name
for a kerosene lamp is la la. I couldn't help but be
struck by the sheer sense of the bizarre in this view of
Tom using the latest in technology with the assistance of
the kind of lighting my grandmother would have used.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1750.shtml

--

<mailto:webteam at electroniciraq.net>

To find out about other EI/eIraq lists available, see:
http://electronicintifada.net/cgi-bin/kebab/mail.cgi

MECCS/EI Project
1507 E. 53rd Street, #500
Chicago, IL 60615, USA