[Media-watch] Denver Post denied access to US military after story and court injunction - Denver Post - 9/12/2004

Julie-ann Davies jadavies2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 18:14:14 GMT 2004

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~2585336,00.html

 Article Published: Thursday, December 09, 2004

Fort Carson halts access for The Post

The base is refusing to give the paper information because of a Sunday
front-page article on military medical holds.

By Eileen Kelley
Special to The Denver Post

Fort Carson -The Army is denying The Denver Post access to Fort Carson and
to information on military activities in the wake of a Sunday article in The
Post on military medical holds.

"We have temporarily suspended relations with The Denver Post as a direct
result of Fort Carson not being given fair and balanced treatment in a story
that appeared on Dec. 5, 2004," Lt. Col. David Johnson, the chief public
affairs officer at the base, said Wednesday evening.

The front-page article examined claims from mentally and physically ill
National Guard and Army Reserve members who say they are being denied access
to quality care and are being shoved out of the military without disability
pay. Congress has been scrutinizing medical holds at bases across the
country.

 "All of those involved with the med-hold piece which ran yesterday are
extremely disappointed with the outcome," Kim Tisor, a Fort Carson public
affairs officer, wrote in a letter to reporters Monday. "Perhaps we would
have been better off not commenting - it certainly would have saved us a lot
of time."

Denver Post Editor Greg Moore said the base's public affairs staff was
misguided in their actions.

"They are singling us out simply because they didn't like our story," he
said. "Other newspapers and media organizations have reported on the issue.
Our story was thorough, and balanced the concerns of soldiers with
substantial response from the military, including from some officers who
acknowledged problems with the program.

"It's our job to investigate issues like these and explain them to our
readers, many of whom have family members serving in the military," Moore
added. "We hope Fort Carson officials reconsider their ban of The Denver
Post. If they don't, we will appeal to senior military officers at Fort
Carson and in Washington, and through any other legal or congressional
channels that are available to us."

Any commander has the authority to control access to his installation or
unit, but a specific news organization can be banned from a base only in
accordance with an Army regulation that provides for due process, according
to a senior Army official who asked not to be named for fear of retribution.

Johnson said the paper has been dropped from an e-mail list that distributes
invitations to cover events and official statements.

A Post reporter was told Tuesday she could not attend a formal deployment
ceremony Wednesday even though other media members were invited.

Johnson said the lack of access is not an official ban, but he later said
that all Denver Post reporters and editors were - for the time being - no
longer welcome at Fort Carson.

Also last week, The Denver Post obtained an injunction to stop an
investigative hearing that had been closed to the public for three Fort
Carson soldiers charged with murdering an Iraqi general.