[Media-watch] The Media: Electronic Iraq

David McKnight david at milwr.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 08:57:44 GMT 2004

_______________________________

UPDATE FROM
ELECTRONIC IRAQ

http://electronicIraq.net
_______________________________

The Media
Looking The Other Way
Kathy Kelly, Electronic Iraq (2 December 2004)

This morning, columnists in major US papers will continue
alerting US people to possible wrongs, even crimes,
committed by UN officials in the course of the "oil for
food" program which coordinated and monitored sales of
Iraqi oil, while economic sanctions ravaged Iraq. These
economic sanctions constituted the most comprehensive
state of siege ever imposed in modern history. It's not
likely that Saddam Hussein ever missed a meal, but
children, hundreds of thousands of children, suffered
gruesomely. Their suffering and death can be likened to
child sacrifice, certainly the most egregious instance of
child abuse in modern times. They'd committed no crime,
yet they were brutally - and lethally - punished for the
government of the country into which they were haplessly
born. You aren't likely to find this story in the current
exposes of UN wrongdoing.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1739.shtml

Iraq Diaries
The Quiet of Destruction and Death
Dahr Jamail, Electronic Iraq (2 December 2004)

It's a late morning start today...as I'm waiting for Abu
Talat, who calls to tell me he is snarled in traffic and
will be late once again, huge explosions shake my hotel.
Shortly thereafter mortars are exploding in the "green
zone" as the loud warning sirens there begin to blare
across Baghdad. Automatic weapon fire cracks down the
street. The good news is that interim prime minister Ayad
Allawi has announced a shortening of the curfew that most
of Iraq is under. So now rather than having to be off the
streets by 10:30pm, we can stay out until 11pm before we
are shot on sight.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1738.shtml

The Media
Iraqi journalist kidnapped south of Baghdad
Report, RSF/IFEX (30 November 2004)

Reporters Without Borders has called on United States
military authorities to explain the continuing detention
of Bakhtiar Haddad, an Iraqi interpreter of Kurdish origin
who has been held for the past three weeks by US forces
after being arrested in Fallujah on 8 November 2004, along
with French freelance photographer Corentin Fleury. US
officials have said Haddad has been held in Abu Ghraib
prison since 23 November on suspicion of collaborating.

 http://electronicIraq.net/news/1736.shtml

--

The following information is a reminder of your current mailing

MECCS/EI Project
1507 E. 53rd Street, #500
Chicago, IL 60615, USA
http://electronicIraq.net