[Media-watch] COLDTYPE DECEMBER ISSUE

Tony Sutton tonysutton at newsdesign.net
Wed Dec 1 23:28:31 GMT 2004

COLDTYPE DECEMBER ISSUE

Six new e-books, photo essays and essays for FREE downloading

1. WITH PALIN TO KYLE
A 36-page excerpt from Ian Marchant¹s new book, Parallel Lines: Journeys On
The Railway of Dreams - Part travelogue, part social commentary, Ian
Marchant¹s latest book is a quirky collection of his tales of travel on the
railways of Britain. It¹s funny with some stinging social observations . . .

2. OFF THE RAILS
To accompany our main feature, we¹ve got an exclusive 12-page photo essay,
Off The Rails, about the little Welsh Railway Line that became a Movie Star
. . .  photographs by Paul Williams, with commentary by Ian Marchant . . .

3. WMD & THE CHALLENGE TO TV NEWS
Danny Schechter¹s new film WMD (Weapons of Mass Deception) blasting the
media coverage of the Iraq war, opens this month in movie theaters across
the United States. ³News Dissector² Schechter, ³blogger in chief² at
Mediachannel.org, has collected his recent columns on the issue, and the
film's script into a new 102 page e-book. PLUS: A special 12-page Teachers¹
Guide to help students understand the war in Iraq and the role of the media.
Download both here . . .

4. JOURNALISM UNDER FIRE
Bill Moyers, host of the critically-acclaimed PBS TV show NOW, writes about
the pressures facing today's¹ journalists, pressures that are greater than
at any time since he began his career as a journalist 54 years ago. Read
what he has to say about the state of the media in our 22 page essay . . .

5. HUNG OVER IN THE END TIMES
The first of two new essays by Joe Bageant in which he points out that
³Since George Bush¹s reelection, the Christian nutjobs have mounted an
assault on my block . . . . they can crush us if they align themselves with
the same oppressive bastards they did this time . . .²

6. DINING WITH THE RHINOS
Joe Bageant thinks its about time America woke up to the herd of rhinos who
are slowly but surely taking over the country  . .  . ³Dissent? Judging from
the liberals I see here in the Washington D.C. area, they think voting
Democratic, giving 50 bucks to the ACLU and dropping down at the National
Mall once a year to observe someone else¹s protest is enough to maintain
their credentials . . .²

PLUS Lots of new columns from John Pilger, George Monbiot, Uri Avneri,
Michael I. Niman and Norman Solomon and lots of additions to our OtherVoices
section

Download all of this and much more at http://www.coldtype.net

Contact editor at coldtype.net if you'd like your name removed from this list