[Media-watch] FW: Iraqi editors experience in US custody

David Miller {FMS} david.miller at stir.ac.uk
Fri Aug 20 10:02:58 BST 2004

>From aljazeera.net

Iraqi editor's experience in US custody
By Ahmed Janabi
Thursday 19 August 2004, 17:02 Makka Time, 14:02 GMT

Al-Dhari: I told the US interrogator we do not hate US people Tools:
Email Article <javascript:
window.open('/NR/exeres/4E8EED44-F54B-4EC4-9BCD-26450A6FF14E.htm?sendhre
fguid={EEE252D4-DA1D-47CA-B6F9-F1CB45F9CF65}','_blank','toolbar=0,locati
on=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=0,width=460,height=500');
void(0);>   Print Article <javascript:
window.open('/NR/exeres/554FAF3A-B267-427A-B9EC-54881BDE0A2E.htm?printgu
id={EEE252D4-DA1D-47CA-B6F9-F1CB45F9CF65}','_blank','toolbar=0,location=
0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1'); void(0);>   Send Your
Feedback <javascript:
window.open('/NR/exeres/BB2DFB69-AE83-48BF-8F1B-02E3A95BDDC0.htm?feedbac
kguid={EEE252D4-DA1D-47CA-B6F9-F1CB45F9CF65}&amp;sendto=author','_blank'
,'toolbar=0,location=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=0,width
=470,height=500'); void(0);>

In the very early hours of 2 August, 2004 four US military vehicles
stopped the convoy of Dr Muthana al-Dhari in Baghdad - the
Editor-in-chief of al-Basaer newspaper and media officer of the
Association of Muslim Scholars (AMS).

In his first interview about the incident since his release he started
by explaining to Aljazeera.net why he was driving in a Baghdad street at
that hour of the morning.

"On 1 August, I participated in a live talk show on LBC television
(Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation), I left the studio shortly after
midnight. I headed to the headquarters of the AMS intending to spend the
night there and do some work for the newspaper".

US soldiers identified al-Dhari and the officer told him that he knew
his father Shaikh Harith al-Dhari, secretary-general of the AMS, but
said the patrol was searching for possible attackers who had fired RPG
missiles at US forces in the neighbourhood a few hours earlier.

"I said to them where I had been, that millions around the world would
have seen me live on TV, but they searched the cars and started serious
discussions with their base. We were six in total, they separated us and
military vehicles continued to patrol the area.

"After sometime they searched the cars again much more violently this
time, and threw our belongings on the ground. An officer approached me
and said we are going to give you a body scan. Then they said that
explosives residue had been detected on me and two of my colleagues.

"The officer requested an explanation for them finding evidence of the
residue, I told him that I had been speaking live on air, and that I
could not give an explanation. He said you are not cooperating and we
are going to arrest you.

"They handcuffed us and blindfolded us and put us in a military vehicle.
I could not see anything, but being a son of Baghdad, I could figure out
that we were heading to the airport area, which was proved right the
next morning.

What were conditions like in the detention centre?

"I spent the first hours until the morning sitting on a chair. Then they
took us to a prison cell where they did an initial interrogation. Then a
doctor checked us, and said everything is OK.

"But his diagnosis was wrong, because the next morning an Egyptian
doctor came and gave us another check up, and found my blood pressure
was high, while my colleague had breathing difficulties.

"He was very angry and sent every US soldier out of the room, and made
another thorough check. The doctor then wrote a report that we needed
medical care.

"At 10 in the morning we were introduced to the prison reception. They
took our pictures and fingerprints. We were very tired; we spent the
whole night sitting on a chair with a huge generator roaring in the next
room.

"After that they kept me in a good room, they gave me a copy of the
Quran and a prayer rug. The food was terrible, some cheap soup, a piece
of mandarin, and dry biscuits. That same meal was served as breakfast,
lunch, and dinner. It was awful, especially as we Iraqis are used to
eating very well cooked meals rich in fat.

He spent four days in prison, and his release was just as complicated
and curious as his arrest.

"I prepared myself for a long stay in the detention centre, but I
learned after my release that high ranking US officials intervened and
said they did not want to loose the involvement and efforts of the AMS."

What subjects did they bring up during the interrogation?

"Basically, because the AMS made efforts in the releasing of several
captives in Iraq, they suspected that we have links with captive takers,
but the truth is that the AMS is highly respected and the only link
between us and the captive takers is our appeals in which we remind them
of the principles of Islam which prohibits Muslims from harming people.

"They also mentioned the names of prisoners in Abu Ghraib and wanted to
know if I knew any of them. They interrogators were keen to find out
anything about the Iraqi resistance.

"They think because we are a revered Sunni Muslim organisation, we might
have information about the so-called Sunni resistance, but the truth is
the resistance is Iraqi not Sunni.

"They asked me, why we hate them? I told them that we do not hate the
American people, they are welcomed as tourists, traders...etc but not as
occupiers.

"An interrogator blamed the Israeli-Arab conflict for the hostility
between Arabs and Americans, and if Israel removes the settlements
everything would be alright.

"I did not agree with him, and reminded him of Jerusalem, and how it is
occupied. I let him know that Muslims do not mind Jews and Christians
living with them in Jerusalem, but they must ask for permission not to
come by force.

What was your conclusion?

"I got the impression that US interrogators and CIA officers have not a
clue about what they are doing. Their questions were shallow and
indicate serious ignorance of the Iraqi scene.

"I also noticed they are so keen to mock, ridicule, and insult us. Some
of them are good people, and are very angry at George Bush, one of them
told me if he (Bush) loves Iraq so much, why does he not bring his
family and live here!

"But interestingly some of them (US soldiers) are just thieves. They
stole my agenda and wrist watch in front of my eyes."

  _____

  _____

 <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21626/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com>