[Media-watch] FW: 10 reporters face jail, fines over sources

Tim Gopsill TimG at nuj.org.uk
Wed Aug 18 08:14:52 BST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Conant [mailto:znewz1 at yahoo.com]
Sent: 17 August 2004 22:05
To: amnonkap at netvision.net.il; barbargi at jour.auth.gr;
c-caywood at northwestern.edu; caroline at white-site.com;
clamay at northwestern.edu; clarouche at fncom.org; dju at verdi.de;
douglas.hunt at jcu.edu.au; dsallen at uwm.edu; dvargas at chilesat.net;
ehlevine at uwm.edu; ghiglion at northwestern.edu; grabs at uclink.berkeley.edu;
harry.allen at wku.edu; hodder at sims.berkeley.edu; inday_nujp at hotmail.com;
info at johnkerry.com; j.servaes at uq.edu.au; jacoby at globe.com;
jakki at northwestern.edu; jdavis at starpower.net; jhornberger at fff.org;
jim.crawley at uniontrib.com; jl0d at lehigh.edu; jnpwu at mxk.mesh.ne.jp;
joann.albers at wku.edu; jyopp at email.unc.edu; l-huebner at northwestern.edu;
lzs at takas.lt; magnus.lindstrom at sjf.se; marijo at jour.auth.gr;
martins.morim at netcabo.pt; mary.cook at asu.edu; mbb at journalistforbundet.dk;
mckaym at cochise.edu; mikealle at uwm.edu; mokhine at sauj.co.za;
mp-block at northwestern.edu; munger at knews.com; osamura at nipporo.nhk.or.jp;
richroth at nwu.edu; segrefnsi1 at tin.it; stempel at ohiou.edu;
szrpress at moon.ro; talkback at the-sun.co.uk; thedonald at voyager.net; Tim
Gopsill; uhnbih at zagreb.hic.hr; umsarin at hotmail.com;
unijournal at mtu-net.ru
Subject: 10 reporters face jail, fines over sources

> > NEWS RELEASE: The Reporters Committee for Freedom
> of
> > the Press
> >
> > Resources available for reporters covering stories
> > about subpoenaed reporters

> > Aug. 17, 2004
> > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> >
> > Contact: Lucy Dalglish, (703) 807-2100
> >   (To remove your address from this list,
> >   reply with "remove" in the subject line.)
> >

> > At least ten reporters are facing jail or
> > substantial fines for refusing to identify
> > confidential sources in connection with three
> > separate federal court cases. The number of
> > journalists facing jail in the United States to
> > protect their sources is unprecedented.
> >
> > On Wednesday, Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson will
> > hold a hearing at 10 a.m. at the U.S. District
> > Courthouse in Washington, D.C., to determine
> whether
> > five reporters who have refused to identify
> > confidential sources they used in reporting the
> Wen
> > Ho Lee investigation will be held in contempt and
> > possibly jailed. Lee, a former Energy Department
> > scientist, has sued the government under the
> Privacy
> > Act, alleging that someone in the Energy or
> Justice
> > departments released confidential information from
> > his personnel file. He wants the reporters to
> > identify the source of the leaks. An additional
> > reporter may be cited with contempt at a later
> date.
> >
> > In addition, at least four reporters have been
> > subpoenaed to testify in Washington, D.C., before
> > federal grand jury investigating the leak of the
> > name of an undercover CIA operative, Valerie
> Plame.
> > One reporter, Time magazine's Matthew Cooper, has
> > already been sentenced to jail for contempt of
> > court, although that penalty has been stayed
> pending
> > appeal.
> >
> > In the third case, Jim Taricani, a reporter for
> > WJAR-TV in Providence, R.I., has been cited with
> > contempt for refusing to obey a court order to
> > reveal the confidential source who gave him a
> > videotape of an undercover FBI investigation.
> >
> > Reporters covering these disturbing stories will
> > find three Web documents published by the
> Reporters
> > Committee for Freedom of the Press to be
> > particularly useful.
> >
> > "Agents of Discovery" is a survey documenting the
> > incidence of subpoenas served on the news media in
> > 2001. We collected data from print and broadcast
> > news operations throughout the United States,
> hoping
> > to demonstrate that journalists are targets of
> > discovery, and that the negative impact of
> subpoenas
> > on news gathering and dissemination was
> substantial.
> > The 2003 report (compiling data from subpoenas in
> > 2001) is our sixth. The report can be found at:
> > http://www.rcfp.org/agents/foreword.html

> [...]

=====
Best regards,
Paul Conant

Please share your comments, corrections and tips with Znewz1.
You will help greatly if you pass these mailings along to colleagues.
Znewz1's theme is press freedom, though the approach can be indirect. Feel free to quote or reprint Znewz1 mailings in whole or in part.
To sign up for Znewz1 tips and comments or to be removed from the Znewz1 list, send a request to Znewz1 at yahoo.com.