[Media-watch] FW: Re: Internal Aljazeera memo..

David Miller david.miller at stir.ac.uk
Wed Apr 28 15:29:44 BST 2004

leaked memo from Al Jazeera

----------
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:40:47 +0300 (GMT)
From: mernissia
To: all
Subject: Violence in the News
Cc: mernissia

It is clear that scenes of extreme violence are filling our news
bulletins. Many people are upset, not least Mr Ahmed Sheikh, the
Editor-in-Chief.

violence that is true to life is regarded as desensitising viewers,
although some might argue that its use may serve a moral or a social
point. Therefore, consideration should be given to the suitability of scenes
of violence in the news.

shots containing excessive violence should be avoided altogether. It is
always necessary to step back and think about their impact on viewers
at home watching them with their young children.

The volume of harrowing and distressing material from Iraq has been
dominating ours news bulletins, and it is often not well handled. I think
a balance should be struck between the demands of truth and the danger of
desensitising people!

Aziz El Mernissi