[Media-watch] Toyota sponsorship

David Miller david.miller at stir.ac.uk
Thu Apr 15 17:26:37 BST 2004

Dear Ian,

I am writing to enquire about the commercial relationship between the
Guardian Group and Toyota, the car manufacturer.  My interest was sparked by
the media lens alert about the magazine Spark (below).  I then remembered
the 8 page pull out on Corporate Social Responsibility in the Observer on 21
March 2004 (though not also on the website).  It was sponsored by Toyota
Prius and featured a whole page Toyota ad on p 8 and an article (about a
quarter/third of a page) claiming 'lean, green Toyota aims for a car that's
totally clean' as the headline put it.  The article ends with the sentence
'the virtuous circle is just that'.

I note that the editor of Spark writes that 'All the editorial in Spark is
indeed independent of the sponsor'.  But this seems not to be true of the
Toyota piece in the Observer supplement - although this was not signalled as
an advertorial.

I have two questions about this.  First, why was the Toyota story not
signalled as advertorial?  And second, what is the nature of the specific or
general deal with Toyota for sponsorship, advertising, advertorials etc? In
the interests of openness and to give readers confidence that there is no
undue influence exerted by Toyota (or other commercial sponsors), can you
publish any agreements or correspondence on the CSR issue specifically or on
any more general agreement with Toyota?

Thanks

David Miller
Stirling Media Research Institute

Thought it might be grist to your Guardian/Toyota roll.  It looks as if
Toyota have struck some deal with the guardian/Observer ad/sponsoirship
dept.  maybe they will tell you what it is?

Best

David