[Media-watch] letters to politicians + newspapers

Mark Priestley m.r.priestley at stir.ac.uk
Wed Oct 22 14:53:05 BST 2003

Hi Sigi
I write to he media and to politicians when I get the time (which is
increasingly rare of late). In answer to some of your questions:

1. My Mp (Anne McGuire) always responds but:

*	sometimes this can take several weeks
*	often the reply takes the form of a standard press statement from
the foreign office - I have complained to her about this, and have most
recently prompted some useful and personal replies.
*	One of her letters was quite angry (to the point of rudeness) after
I sent her some photos of victims of British bombing in Iraq and asked her
to examine her conscience when voting for war. Subsequently she has been
cordial and replies have been detailed and courteous - she even took the
opportunity to send me information in the form of a parliamentary report on
one occasion.

2. Replies from Tony Blair's office normally take the form of a three line
note stating that the Prime Minister has taken note of my concerns.
3. Many letters to the media have elicited some sort of response:

*	Richard Sambrook from the BBC always responds, and normally
promptly, and in detail.
*	Jonathan Munroe at ITN never responds
*	Specific journalists at the BBC and ITN usually respond, but often
with one liners. One email from the BBC's Guto Harri contained no
punctuation or capital letters, which speaks volumes about the thought that
went into his reply.
*	I have had varying responses from newspapers - from zilch up to a
correspondance of several weeks with someone from the Economist

I have no idea about the answers to your other questions.

Cheers, Mark