[Media-watch] ColdType

Tony Sutton tonysutton at newsdesign.net
Tue Oct 14 12:19:19 BST 2003

NEW AT COLDTYPE.NET

We're back again with more great journalism

We've got a bonanza crop of new columns and features in this latest update
of ColdType.net, delayed because of my recent trip to Ireland to launch a
new newspaper, and to England, where I celebrated my birthday and wedding
anniversary and recuperated from the excesses of Ireland. - Tony Sutton,
editor

Okay, so what good things have we got? Let's begin with our main piece, an
essay from John Pilger on the Betrayal of Afghanistan, written to accompany
his superb new TV documentary, 'Breaking the Silence: Truth and lies in the
war on terror', broadcast in Britain on September 22.You won't want to miss
this piece - or his other four new columns on the rise and fall of liberal
England, the lies of Colin Powell, media censorship and the suffering of the
people of Iraq.

Go to http://www.coldtype.net to download JOHN PILGER's essay, The Betrayal
of Afghanistan

Find JOHN PILGER at http://www.coldtype.net/pilger.html

------------------

In addition to these great pieces, we've got two new articles from George
Monbiot, in which he slams the Blair government's determination to foist
genetically-modified foods on Britain and takes the government to task over
its determination to eviscerate the nation's National Health Service.

Read GEORGE MONBIOT at http://www.coldtype.net/London.html

------------------

Across the other side of the world, Norman Solomon contributes four columns
on the US political scene, ranging from the election of Big Arnie in
California, a close look at Wesley Clark, the left's latest hope to unseat
George W. Bush; media and political values; and the unmasking of the ugly
'anti-American.'

Read NORMAN SOLOMON at http://www.coldtype.net/mediabeat.html

------------------

Still on the subject of Arnie Schwarzenegger, we've also got another
important essay from correspondent Michael I. Niman, who travelled down to
California to get the lowdown on the sorry state of the nation's largest
state.

Read MICHAEL I. NIMAN at http://www.coldtype.net/Grip.html

------------------

Finally, we've got a slew of gems from this month's most prolific writer
Antonia Zerbisias, of my local paper The Toronto Star, whose eight new
pieces range from a bemused look at right wing writer Anne Coulter to
political turmoil in Venezuela to a huge scandal that is about to burst
around the head of George W and much, much more.

Read ANTONIA ZERBISIAS at http://www.coldtype.net/broad.html

------------------

COMING NEXT WEEK

Castles In The North, our wonderful new photo-essay from Northern Ireland by
celebrated young English photographer Jonathan Olley.

COMING LATER THIS MONTH

AN excerpt from HARD WORK: Life In Low-Pay Britain, a brilliant new book
which tells what happened when Guardian journalist Polly Toynbee moved into
one of the worst council estates in Britain and tried to survive on the
minimum wage.

We're continually updating coldtype.net, so bookmark http://www.coldtype.net
and keep checking for great - and relevant  - writing and photography

NOTE: IF YOU'D LIKE TO BE INCLUDED IN  - OR REMOVED FROM - OUR MAIL UPDATES,
PLEASE CONTACT: editor at coldtype.net