[Media-watch] ColdType latest

Tony Sutton tonysutton at newsdesign.net
Thu Nov 27 12:15:15 GMT 2003

NEW AT COLDTYPE.NET
The latest in our series of ColdType Modern Classics
WHITE MAN WALKING
A 60-page mini-book from top South African author Denis Beckett
All I knew of Durban¹s Cato Manor was that its record of riot, razing and
broken heads is several lengths longer than any other township in South
Africa, which is saying a bit. A mega-effort to straighten it out has now
been made and is drawing to a close. The straighteners, Cato Manor
Development Association, commissioned a bucketload of academic and
professional reports on the results. They decided also to include one
wild-side report, which they called ³The View From the Street². They wanted
the impressions of a total outsider, uncluttered by prior baggage.
³No holds barred², they said, ³we¹ll fly you down, we¹ll give you a car,
we¹ll book a hotel, you¹ll take as long as you like, you¹ll say what you
see.²
I said: ³I¹ll pass on the hotel. Is there any sort of guest-house in Cato
Manor itself?²
³No, nothing like that.²
³You can surely find someone who has a bed available.²
³Er, yes, if that¹s what you want.²
³Yep. The view doesn¹t stop when night falls. In fact, let¹s pass on the car
too.²
There was a pause. ³Well, if you insist . . . . ²

Download White Man Walking  at http://www.coldtype.net

------------------

PLUS: NEW TODAY
Latest Updates from regular columunists John Pilger, George Monbiot, Norman
Solomon, Michael I. Niman, Antonia Zerbisias, Danny Schechter.

Read JOHN PILGER at http://www.coldtype.net/pilger.html
Read GEORGE MONBIOT at http://www.coldtype.net/London.html
Read NORMAN SOLOMON at http://www.coldtype.net/mediabeat.html
Read MICHAEL I. NIMAN at http://www.coldtype.net/Grip.html
Read ANTONIA ZERBISIAS at http://www.coldtype.net/broad.html
Read DANNY SCHECHTER at http://www.coldtype.net/danny.html

COMING IN DECEMBER

An excerpt from John Pilger's latest book, The New Rulers Of the World.
Plus more photo-essays and book excerpts

NOTE: IF YOU'D LIKE TO BE INCLUDED IN  OUR MAIL UPDATES, PLEASE CONTACT:
editor at coldtype.net