[Media-watch] Mark Byford: In wartime the BBC shows its true colours

William Dinan william.dinan at stir.ac.uk
Tue May 6 16:38:12 BST 2003

>From today's Independent:

Mark Byford: In wartime the BBC shows its true colours

Taken from a speech given by the director of the BBC World Service and
Global News, delivered at the AIB Media Business Conference 2003, in London

The past few weeks have been truly remarkable at the BBC. We were providing a
lifeline service of trusted information to the Iraqi people through the BBC
Arabic Service, while at the same time coalition forces were tuning in to
the World Service in English on the battlefield and as they advanced to
Baghdad; meanwhile at Central Command in Doha they were watching BBC World.

That's quite a role and quite a responsibility. During the war, we reported
every day on the toll of dead and wounded, and all too often, to our sorrow
and dismay, that included broadcasters and journalists.

As broadcasters, we must all ensure that our journalists and broadcasting
teams undergo hostile environment safety training as a matter of course.

We must be equally robust in defending editorial freedom and independence.
As with most conflicts, news organisations ran into criticism from all sides
in this war. The BBC was variously accused of following a script written by
the White House and Downing Street or of fostering sympathy for Saddam
Hussein.

Different constituencies often expect the BBC to support their cause.
However, the reason that we have been so successful over generations is that
we are not an arm of the state. Even at times of crisis, our first duty must
be to our audiences. In deciding what to show - and what not to show - we
must be guided by their needs and their interests.

Being first with the news is not everything. Indeed, it is more important to
be "second and right" than first and wrong. Accuracy is a prime concern at
the BBC, and our international news programmes have to be especially careful
and cautious because so many of our audiences look to us to find out whether
what others are saying is true.

Maintaining our credibility is vital to help with the reconstruction of an
independent and pluralistic media in post-war Iraq. We must be constantly
vigilant about the tone and range of voice presented in our news programmes.

We must never be afraid of asking tough questions of those in power. During
the war, it would have been all too easy to stick to a formula of Bush and
Blair statements and live press briefings with Tommy Franks, followed by a
clip of an Iraqi minister. However, not many listeners in Cairo or Amman
would have thought that sounded impartial or balanced, and they would have
been right. It certainly wouldn't have presented a full, comprehensive and
accurate picture.

6 May 2003 16:34