[Media-watch] BBC complaints log for 20 March

david Miller david.miller at stir.ac.uk
Tue May 6 13:00:38 BST 2003

A BBC source has passed on the confidential BBC complaints log for the first
day of the attack on Iraq.  This is the summary of all complaints phoned
(and emailed) to BBC Information (info at bbc.co.uk - phone 08700100222).
These are then circulated amongst BBC management (and from what I can gather
may also be available on the BBC's intranet).

I haven't had time to do any analysis of this document, but a quick look
does reveal a remarkable range of complaints.  Many of them also seem not to
be taken down in sufficient detail to get a sense of their meaning.  So the
advice when phoning to complain is to make sure they write down your
complaint word for word.

It seems to me that there is no reason for these logs to be confidential.
Maybe people might like to write to info at bbc.co.uk to complain about this.

Enjoy:

BBC TELEVISION LOG

Daily audience reaction by telephone to BBC Television programmes compiled
and

distributed by BBC Information.

Thursday, 20 March 2003

3 NON-BLONDES
Man
"I found this programme fantastic. It gave a totally unbiased view and it is
only aimed at making people laugh. It doesn't show any racism at all."

Total calls for programme 1

---------

75 YEARS OF THE ACADEMY AWARDS - AN UNOFFICIAL HISTORY ­ PRE TX 24/03/03
Man
"Please show some coverage of the very first ceremony in 1929. It would also
be nice to see some clips from each decade."
Total calls for programme 1

---------

BACK TO THE FLOOR
Woman
"I really enjoyed this programme and it was a breath of fresh air to see
people happy in their work."

Total calls for programme 1

---------

BBC NEWS 24 ­ GENERAL
Man
"I feel that the coverage of the war by this channel has been very poor."
Man
Feels that the coverage of the war is of a poor quality. "The ticker tape is
annoying and the same reports are featured over and over."
Man
Feels that the coverage of the war is excellent.
Woman
Claimed that all reports concerning black people portrayed them in a bad
light and felt annoyed at this. "This could incite racism."

Total calls for programme 4

---------

BBC NEWS 24
Man
Time. 17:31: Claimed that the female newsreader kept saying 'erm' whilst
speaking and was annoyed by this.
Man
Time. 05:44: Claimed that Saddam Hussein's speech was not fully translated
into English and was very annoyed by this.
Man
Time. 09:00: Felt that there was a lack of analysis of the war and that the
coverage was of a poor quality.
Woman
Time. 13:15: Claimed that there was a report stating that an American
helicopter had crash landed and was annoyed by this. "I have contacted other
news broadcasters who say this is untrue."
Man
Time. 15:11: Felt that it was inappropriate for a reporter to have said 'we
are all very frustrated' implying that it was due to the lack of action.
"This war is not for the benefit of journalists."
Man
Time. 15:15: Felt that the feature was biased in favour of war, in
particular the comment 'great Blitzkrieg'."
Man
Time. 15:31: Felt that the coverage on the Security Council meeting was
excellent.
Man
Time. 16:26: Claimed that the movement of British troops in Iraq was shown
and felt that this could put their lives in danger.
Man
Time. 01:10: Claimed that it was incorrectly stated that Ramadan started
today and was annoyed by this. "I believe it starts in December."

Total calls for programme 9

---------

BBC NEWS SPECIAL ­ TX 17/03/03
Man
Claimed that background noise from anti-war protesters was clearly audible
and was annoyed by this. "It was difficult to hear the results of the
voting."

Total calls for programme 1

---------

BBC NEWS SPECIAL
Woman
"I found the movement in the background very distracting."
Man
"Andrew Marr's report from outside Ten Downing Street was brilliant, he was
really confident."
Woman
"I do not think that demonstrations by children should have be shown, as I
believe it will encourage others to truant."
Man
"I felt that John Simpson¹s contribution in Iraq was of very poor quality,
as he did not offer much information."
Man
"I felt that coverage of reporters in gas masks was sensationalism."
Man
"I felt that the Australian troops should have been mentioned."
Man
"I felt that the programme should have discussed why B52 bombers did not
take off from Italy instead of England."
Man
"I felt that the programme should have included an on-screen map of Iraq to
point out where certain places are in Iraq."
Woman
"I felt that the war was treated like a soap opera. The programme was more
like an entertainment show than the news."
Man
"I felt that there was no coverage of the people who support the Government
in this war."
Man
"It seemed to me that only pro-war children were interviewed. I found this
very unbalanced."
Woman
Annoyed that the amount of missiles used by the US wasn't mentioned, yet the
amount fired in retaliation by Iraq was stated.
Man
Annoyed that the programme was reporting on a possible chemical attack on
British soldiers, when this had not been confirmed.
Woman
Claimed that Andrew Marr implied that a case had been proved that Iraq has
weapons of mass destruction. "I believe that this is not the case."
Man
Claimed that the presenter interrupted Michael Portillo, as he was giving a
pro-war opinion and felt this showed an anti-war bias.
Man
Claimed that conflicting information was given out over the timing of Tony
Blair's address to the nation and was disappointed by this.
Man
Claimed that it was inaccurate to state that the majority of Europe was
against military action in Iraq.
Woman
Claimed that reports were giving away too much tactical information
regarding the war and felt this was irresponsible.
Man
Claimed that the report by John Simpson was propaganda. "He stated that the
person to take Saddam Hussein's place will be beneficial for the people of
Iraq, which was his personal opinion."
Man
Claimed that the reports were biased because three anti-war protesters were
interviewed and no pro-war campaigners were.
Man
Claimed the programme was nothing more than Government propaganda and was
annoyed by this.
Woman
"I felt that it was ridiculous to report that the CIA knew where Saddam
Hussein was last night, when they could not find him for thirteen years."
Woman
Felt that it was insensitive to show coverage of anti-war protests because
so many British troops are currently in the Gulf.
Man
Felt that it was misleading to 'loop' the footage of the allied bombing of
Baghdad, as it falsely implied that Baghdad was constantly being bombed.
Woman
Felt that the coverage of the war with Iraq was very comprehensive.
Woman
Felt that the coverage was of a poor quality, as there was too much live
footage and not enough expert analysis.
Woman
Felt that the female presenter spoke too quickly to be understood.
Man
Felt that the female presenter spoke too quickly to be understood.
Man
Felt that the programme should have pointed out that the Scud missiles, used
by Saddam Hussein against the Kurds, were on the banned list of weapons of
the 1991 treaty.
Man
Felt that the programme was biased against war and the British Government.
"This was especially obvious when the experts predicted what will happen in
Iraq because of the war."
Woman
Felt that the programme was biased in favour of the anti-war perspective, as
it showed footage of Iraqi children suffering.
Man
Felt that the programme was of a poor quality as the content was
insubstantial and repetitive.
Man
Felt that the programme was of a poor quality, as the experts seemed to know
very little on the subject and were mostly speculating.
Man
Felt that the programme was pointless and contained little real news. "I
found that it merely glorified the war."
Woman
Felt that the reporter's English was of a poor quality. "The reporter
referred to the 'amount of young people' in Iraq, but I felt that it should
have been 'the number of young people'."
Man
Felt that the style and presentation of the female presenter during the
broadcast was poor.
Woman
Felt that the use of the term 'Scud' is contentious and should not be used
without evidence.
Man
Felt that there should have been more coverage of anti-war protests in small
towns.
Man
Felt that there was too much coverage given to anti-war protests.
Woman
Felt that there was too much coverage of the anti-war protests in London. "I
felt that this was an example of bias towards the anti-war lobby."
Man
Felt that there were too many American guest speakers during the reports and
felt that more British ministers should have been interviewed.
Woman
Felt that too much coverage was given to anti-war protesters and was annoyed
by this.
Man
Felt that too much time was spent reporting on anti-war protesters.
Woman
Found the design of the studio backdrop distracting, making it difficult to
watch the programme.
Woman
Re. Anti-war protests: Claimed that two pro-war Iraqis were interviewed at
an anti-war protest and felt that this was biased. "At an anti-war rally
could the BBC not have found someone who was against war?"
Man
Re. Interview outside Birmingham Central Mosque: Felt that this was biased
in favour of the anti-war perspective because no pro-war counter argument
was given.
Man
Re. Vote in House of Commons: Claimed that details about Conservative Party
votes were not mentioned and felt that this showed a bias against them.
Man
Unhappy that anti-war protests were shown.
Man
Unhappy that so much time was spent analysing a chemical attack in Kuwait
that never happened.
Woman
"I am worried that the reporting could give away important military
intelligence about the British forces to the Iraqi military."
Man
"I would like to know why the programme did not cover all the anti-war
protests which occurred today."
Man
Claimed that an on-screen graphic used a lowercase "i" for Iraq and was
annoyed by this.
Man
Claimed that the term 'underway' was used incorrectly and was annoyed by
this.
Man
Claimed that there have been no reports of anti-war demonstrators trying to
get into Whitehall and was disappointed by this.
Man
Felt that the background colours were distracting and was annoyed by this.
Woman
Felt that the lady chairperson in the studio was of a poor quality.
Man
Felt that the on-screen graphics distracted from programme.
Woman
Found the on-screen graphics distracting.
Man
Thought that Jane Hill was excellent.
Woman
Felt that the moving backdrop on the programme was distracting.

Total calls for programme 60

---------

BBC ONE PROMOTION (IDENTS)

1 Call: Felt that the creation of new idents was a waste of the Licence Fee.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

BBCi (INTERACTIVE)
Man
Re. BBCi television text: Claimed that the television schedule was not
updated and was annoyed by this.
Man
Re. BBCi television text: Felt that the service was of a poor quality
compared to CEEFAX and was annoyed by this. "There is not half as much
information and it is often very slow to update."
Man
Re. Iraq war: "The interactive forums for BBC NEWS 24 seem to be dominated
by pro-war interviewees."

Total calls for programme 3

---------

BBCi (ONLINE)
Woman
Re. HRT: Claimed that progesterone was incorrectly referred to as a
'chemical substitute' and objected to this. "I believe progesterone occurs
naturally in the body."

Total calls for programme 1

---------

BREAKFAST ­ GENERAL
Woman
"I would like to hear clear and honest reporting on the consequences of the
Iraq war."
Woman
"In previous war situations, the loss of civilian life has been referred to
as 'collateral damage' and I do not wish to hear this term used in reference
to the Iraq war."
Man
"The programme should refrain from reporting on military matters, as this
could cause a risk to security."
Woman
Feels that there is not enough coverage of the positive aspects of war.
"There could be a positive outcome and this should be mentioned."

Total calls for programme 4

---------

BREAKFAST
Woman
"Contrary to what was stated, I believe that the public are backing the
military and not Tony Blair."
Man
"I felt that the reports from the Gulf were very balanced and fair."
Man
"I felt that there was too much coverage of the war in Iraq and not enough
other news."
Man
Annoyed at the lack of sports news due to coverage of the Iraq war.
Man
Annoyed that both presenters were wearing black. "This does not send out a
positive message to the families of soldiers involved in the war with Iraq."
Man
Annoyed that relatives of troops serving in Iraq were allowed to give their
personal opinions on the conflict.
Woman
Annoyed that the same reports were repeated over and over again.
Man
Believes that free range over ground missiles were incorrectly referred to
as 'Scud missiles'. "This was very misleading as there are very significant
differences between these missiles."
Man
Claimed that Dermot Murnaghan and Natasha Kaplinsky were unsuitable
presenters for reporting on the war with Iraq and was annoyed by this. "I
felt that they were too lightweight."
Man
Claimed that Natasha Kaplinsky asked rhetorically Œwhy have we not heard
from Tony Blair?¹ and was annoyed by this. "She should not be permitted to
air her own personal opinions."
Woman
Claimed that Palestine was described as a 'country' and objected to this. "I
believe it is an authority rather than a country."
Woman
Claimed that a newsreader stated 'Israel and Palestine were the cause of war
in Iraq' and felt this was offensive and inaccurate.
Man
Claimed that it was stated 'children in Iraq are being protected by the
bombs and not killed' and was annoyed by this. "My children saw this report
and were upset by it."
Man
Claimed that it was stated by Dermot Murnaghan that a report about civilian
casualties in Baghdad 'could not be believed as it came from Iraq' and felt
that this showed bias against Iraq. "The BBC should remain impartial at all
times."
Woman
Claimed that more American troops were interviewed than British troops and
was annoyed by this.
Woman
Claimed that only RAF pilots were mentioned in relation to the airstrikes on
Iraq and was annoyed by this. "I believe there are a significant number of
Army Air Corp pilots involved in the strikes who should have also been
mentioned."
Man
Claimed that the presenters constantly belittled the role of the UK in the
Iraq war and objected to this.
Woman
Claimed that the views of a senior Muslim cleric on the Iraq war were
continually shown and objected to this.
Man
Claimed that the war in Iraq was linked with Israel and objected to this.
"If this is to continue, then representatives from the Jewish community
should be allowed to participate in the programme."
Woman
Claimed that there was no mention of the Australian troops currently in
Kuwait and was annoyed by this.
Woman
Claimed that there was no report before 08:30 from the war correspondent and
was disappointed by this.
Man
Felt it was extremely inappropriate to interview the family of a British
military personnel member currently serving in Iraq. "Information that could
be useful to the enemy was given."
Man
Felt it was inappropriate to show footage of a United States helicopter with
'Beast 666' written on the side, due to the religious connotations.
Man
Felt it was sensationalist to show footage of a war correspondent in Kuwait
wearing a gas mask and objected to this.
Woman
Felt it was very insensitive to interview the parents of a soldier currently
serving in Kuwait.
Woman
Felt that the interview with the family of a soldier currently serving in
Kuwait was of a poor quality and not newsworthy.
Man
Felt that the interview with the relatives of a British military personnel
member who is stationed in Iraq was not newsworthy.
Man
Felt that the line of questioning during the interview with the family of a
British military personnel member was insensitive and objected to this.
Woman
Felt that the presenters should not have been dressed in black. "This was
unpatriotic."
Woman
Felt that the use of the term 'war' was inappropriate and offensive. "It
would be more fitting to refer to it as Anglo-American aggression."
Man
Felt that there was insufficient coverage of the Iraq war. "I believe there
should be more reports on what is actually happening in Baghdad as opposed
to the opinions of people in the UK."
Woman
Felt that there was too much coverage of the Iraq war.
Man
Felt that there was too much coverage of the Iraq war.
Woman
Felt that there was too much coverage of the Iraq war.
Man
Felt that there was too much coverage of the speech made by President Bush.
Woman
Felt that there was too much news coverage of the Iraq war.
Man
Felt that there was too much speculation regarding the Iraq conflict and not
enough Œhard facts.¹
Woman
Felt that too much coverage was given to the speech made by President Bush.
Man
Felt that too much information about the whereabouts of troops was given and
objected to this. "This could be dangerous."
Woman
Felt that too much sensitive military information was given regarding the
Iraq war and objected to this.
Man
Re. Attacks on Baghdad: Claimed that Dermot Murnaghan stated that there was
'a lack of communication between President Bush and the Prime Minister' and
felt that this indicated bias against America.
Woman
Time. 07:40: Annoyed that the reporter in Washington continuously stuttered
and faltered during his report on the Iraq war and was annoyed by this.
Man
Claimed that the standard of English used was of a poor quality and was
annoyed by this.
Man
"I was disgusted that it was stated that not all the soldiers will be
returning home because there are a lot of worried parents watching the
programme."
Woman
Felt that Natasha Kaplinsky was a poor quality presenter.
Man
Felt that the programme was of a poor quality.
Man
Re. Business news: Claimed that the ticker tape report at the bottom of the
screen was not updated and contained incorrect share prices.
Man
Re. Middle East: Objected to the use of the term 'Palestine'. "I believe
there is no such place."
Woman
Re. War on Iraq discussion: Claimed that Natasha Kaplinsky was smirking
during the discussion and was annoyed by this.
Man
Unhappy that the usual sports round up was not shown.

Total calls for programme 50

---------

CASH IN THE ATTIC ­ GENERAL
Woman
Feels that the background music is unnecessary during the auction.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

CASUALTY ­ GENERAL

1 Call: Feels that too much emphasis has been placed on the gay relationship
and is unhappy at this.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

CEEFAX ­ GENERAL
Man
Re. Page: 600: BBC ONE: 19:23: Unhappy that the television listings had not
changed to accommodate this evenings schedule changes.
Woman
Re. Page 601-602: BBC ONE: 20.23: Claimed that the television listings were
not updated to reflect the schedule changes on BBC ONE and BBC TWO and was
unhappy with this.
Man
Re. Page 602: BBC ONE: 22:21: London: Annoyed that it was not indicated that
BACK TO THE FLOOR was a repeat.
Man
Re. Page 602: BBC TWO: 20:15: East: Annoyed that schedules were not updated
to reflect changes.
Man
Re. Page 648: BBC ONE: 17:10: London: Annoyed that World Service schedules
were not updated.
Woman
Re. Page: 601: BBC ONE: 20:00: National: Claimed that the schedule changes
were not updated and was annoyed by this.

Total calls for programme 6

---------

COMIC RELIEF RED NOSE NIGHT 2003 ­ TX 14/03/03
Man
"I felt Jonathan Ross should not have said 'who has farted¹ to the children
who had been dancing. He is disgusting and not in the least bit funny."

1 Further Call: Claimed that Jonathan Ross made insensitive comments about
the small donations made by children and was annoyed by this.

1 Further Call: Was annoyed that Jonathan Ross used bad language during the
programme.

Total calls for programme 3

---------

DAILY POLITICS ­ GENERAL
Man
"I would have liked the programme to have mentioned the Royal Tank Regiment
who are in Kuwait, as the regiment is made up of people from Scotland and
the north of England."

Total calls for programme 1

---------

DAILY POLITICS
Man
"I felt that there was too much criticism of our troops in the Gulf."
Man
"The children who were protesting against the war were reported as doing a
'good thing'. However, these children may not have wanted to protest."
Man
Felt that it was inappropriate for Andrew Neil and guests to laugh about the
subject of war.
Woman
Felt that it was inappropriate for Andrew Neil to interview school children
about the war. "I felt that this report encouraged anti-war values."
Man
Felt that the programme was biased in favour of the anti-war perspective, as
none of the guests expressed any pro-war views.
Man
Claimed that Andrew Neil referred to a guest as 'Churchillian' and was
annoyed by this.
Man
Re. Discussion on Europe: Felt that the choice of Socialist and Liberal
Democrat guests gave a pro-European bias to the discussion and was annoyed
by this.

Total calls for programme 7

---------

DEVIL'S WORDS - THE BATTLE FOR AN ENGLISH BIBLE ­ TX 19/0303
Man
Felt that the programme was wonderful.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

DIET TRIALS ­ GENERAL
Woman
Claimed that there has been no mention of the Rosemary Conley diet and was
annoyed by this.
Woman
Feels that the Rosemary Conley diet should be featured more.
Woman
Feels that the programme concentrates too much on the negative aspects of
the Atkins diet.

Total calls for programme 3

---------

DOUBLE TAKE ­ TX 17/03/03
Woman
Felt that the programme was very funny.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

ENGINEERING - GENERAL
Man
Claimed that the PDC code failed for DEVIL'S WORDS - THE BATTLE FOR AN
ENGLISH BIBLE on 19/03/03.
Man
Claimed that the PDC code failed for DEVIL'S WORDS - THE BATTLE FOR AN
ENGLISH BIBLE on 19/03/03.
Man
Claimed that the PDC code failed for FAST RUNNER on 15/03/03.

2 Calls: Were unhappy that a DOG is displayed on-screen on BBC News 24.

1 Call: Was unhappy that DTT reception is not available for their postcode.

1 Call: Was disappointed that as a viewer in Europe, they will lose channels
due to changes in BBC broadcasts via digital satellite.

Total calls for programme 7

---------

ESCAPE TO THE COUNTRY ­ TX 19/03/03
Man
Felt that it was a bad example to show someone walking along a train track.
"Her actions were illegal and aside from the safety aspect, no effort was
made to obscure her identity."

Total calls for programme 1

---------

GENERAL - COMMENTS
Man
"I feel that it would be appropriate to have some way for members of the
public to access up-to-date information on schedule changes."
Man
"I think that Greg Dyke is a brilliant director general."
Man
I want to see more interviews with Tony Blair and John Prescott. These two
men are very important and the public need to hear their views."
Man
"I would like the BBC to do a programme which would cover the financial cost
of war and the effects it will have on our economy."
Woman
"I would like the BBC to investigate the possibility of George Bush and Tony
Blair being convicted of war crimes."
Woman
Feels that the BBC provides no informative programmes for the viewing public

2 Calls: Were unhappy that the Licence Fee is being used to fund DTT free to
view television.

1 Call: Feels that the BBC's channel line up on FREEVIEW is poor.

Total calls for programme 9

---------

GULF WAR
Man
Felt that the background music spoiled that programme. "It was not possible
to hear what was being said."

Total calls for programme 1

---------

HOUSECALL IN THE COUNTRY ­ GENERAL
Man
"I live in Bedminster and the disruption to our local environment has been
intolerable since the series started. The noise and inconvenience is
terrible and the local people were not asked if they minded."

Total calls for programme 1

---------

ISRAEL'S SECRET WEAPON ­ TX 17/03/03

2 Further Calls: Thought that the programme was excellent.

Total calls for programme 2

---------

KILROY
Woman
Claimed that the theme of feuding mothers and daughters was highly
inappropriate and insensitive at the current time when many mothers are
separated from their daughters who are serving in the armed forces in Iraq.
Man
Claimed that Kilroy feigned surprise when a parent revealed that she had not
spoken to her child for fifteen years and was annoyed by this.
Woman
Felt that Kilroy was too supportive of the mothers involved in family feuds
with their daughters and objected to this.

3 Calls: Were unhappy that Kilroy was giving his own personal opinions on
the programme and not allowing guests to finish their comments.

1 Call: Felt that Kilroy did not take control of the audience and was
annoyed by this.

Total calls for programme 7

---------

MATCH OF THE DAY LIVE
Man
Claimed that Barry Davies, when discussing John Robertson's days playing for
Nottingham Forest in the European Cup, failed to mention that Robertson
scored the winning goal in his second European Cup final and was annoyed by
this.
Woman
Claimed that the commentary showed a bias in favour of Liverpool and was
annoyed by this.
Man
Claimed that the commentators were biased against Liverpool and was annoyed
by this.
Man
Felt that the commentators were biased in favour of Liverpool and was
annoyed by this.
Woman
Felt that there were too many instant replays during the match and that
these distracted from the live action.
Man
Thought that the commentary was entirely biased in favour of England and
Liverpool and was annoyed by this. "They claimed that two Englishmen had
scored but this was not the case, neither of the goal scorers were English."
Man
Thought that the programme was biased against Celtic FC and was annoyed by
this. "It was very inappropriate to show coverage of a Rangers FC match
during the live coverage."
Woman
Felt that the commentators were biased in favour of Liverpool and was
annoyed by this.

Total calls for programme 8
---------

NATIONAL LOTTERY WRIGHT TICKET ­ TX 15/03/03

1 Further Call: Felt the programme was of a poor quality.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

NEWS - GENERAL
Woman
"I am annoyed at the lack of news coverage of what is happening to the
Palestinians."
Man
"I am deeply offended by the news programmes constantly using the term
'Muslim opinion' when there is no 'Christian opinion' being expressed."
Man
"I feel that the news programmes are excellent."
Man
"I find that the news is often read in monosyllables and am annoyed by
this."
Woman
"I want to know if there is a general code of conduct for BBC news staff
which outlines what constitutes a conflict of interest, as I believe a
breach has taken place."
Woman
"Constant news coverage of the Iraq war is very upsetting for the families
of the armed forces. Please only give updates when there is new information
rather than repeating the same reports."
Woman
"Every time I watch news reports all I see is anti-war demonstrations. When
will we see a pro-war viewpoint?"
Man
"Great emphasis appears to have been laid on how limited the weapons are
that Iraq actually have, so I feel that it is unfair that glorification of
the weaponry available for use by the allied forces also appears to be
prominent on BBC news broadcasts."
Woman
"I am very disappointed that the coverage of the war in Iraq will not
continue throughout the day on BBC ONE."
Man
"I believe that all of the BBC reports on and from Iraq are extremely
anti-war and need to start supporting the British troops."
Woman
"I believe that the reporting of the war in Iraq has been treated in a light
hearted way."
Woman
"I feel the news gives excessive coverage to anti-war demonstrations."
Man
"I feel that reports are trying to simplify the killing of innocent human
beings and is very clearly showing bias in favour of this war."
Man
"I feel that reports regarding the war in Iraq are biased against pro-war
protesters."
Man
"I feel there is too much coverage of anti-war protesters."
Man
"I feel you are giving too much technical information about the war in
Iraq."
Man
"I hope to hear continued unbiased reporting throughout the war."
Man
"I object to the use of the term 'take out' when referring to the killing of
Saddam Hussein."
Man
"I think that it is very insensitive to show coverage of anti-war
demonstrations, this is quite off putting especially for those who have
family members in the army."
Woman
"I think that we are only seeing the British and the American side of this
dispute and I am very annoyed by this."
Woman
"I would like the news to state the name of the Iraqi man that was killed in
the bomb attacks. I hope that the BBC is not intentionally withholding this
information."
Man
"I would like the same degree of reporting on Allied planes which are shot
down or are unsuccessful in their actions, as there is on bombings over
Iraq."
Man
"It has not been stated that most countries in Europe support the
Government's stance on the war with Iraq."
Woman
"Rageh Omaar has done a fantastic job in Baghdad and I think he deserves to
come home now."
Woman
"Reports should not be too eager to reveal military strategies and movements
of our troops as this information may be used to their detriment."
Woman
"There has been no mention that the Queen has sent a special message to the
troops in the Gulf."
Woman
"There is too much coverage of anti-war protests."
Man
"There was a large anti-war demonstration today in Liverpool and there has
been no news coverage of it."
Man
"To my knowledge no anti-war protester has ever been questioned by a BBC
journalist."
Woman
"I don't want rumours about what may happen I want facts, stop filling the
news programmes with speculation."
Man
Claimed that a protester at an anti-war demonstration was assaulted by a
police officer and is annoyed that this has not been broadcast.
Man
Claimed that the news was biased against a war on Iraq and demonstrated this
by not showing pro-war members of the public and established religious
leaders on news reports.
Woman
Claimed that the safety of the correspondents in the Gulf was compromised,
as they were not wearing protective suits and was annoyed by this.
Man
Claimed that there are never any reports about the anti-war movement and is
annoyed by this.
Woman
Claimed that there has been no mention of Spain's involvement in the war in
Iraq and was annoyed by this.
Man
Claimed that there was no mention of the Canadian response to the fact that
the war against Iraq was deemed an illegal war and was annoyed by this.
Woman
Claimed that there was too much coverage of the anti-war demonstrations and
was annoyed by this.
Woman
"I am concerned for the reporters in Iraq and would like a report to state
how they are being protected."
Man
Feels that all news programmes have shown too much coverage of the anti-war
demonstrations.
Man
Feels that it should be mentioned that correspondents have to adhere to
reporting restrictions.
Man
Feels that reports on Iraq are not balanced. "They are too emotional."
Man
Feels that that there has been no coverage of the humanitarian aspect of war
and the effect this war will have on innocent Iraqi civilians.
Man
Feels that the BBC should report on Gulf War Syndrome, in order to balance
news reports.
Woman
Feels that the news shows support for the war and the troops within Iraq. "I
feel that this demonstrates extreme bias in favour of the Government's
action."
Woman
Feels that the coverage of the war in Iraq is not factual enough.
Man
Feels that the news coverage has given too much airtime to anti-war protests
and people with anti-war views. "Now that the war has started we should be
behind our troops."
Woman
Feels that the number of women serving in the armed forces in Iraq should be
mentioned.
Man
Feels that the same stories have been repeated continuously throughout the
day and is annoyed by this.
Woman
Feels that there is bias against the American and British Governments. "News
reports should support these Governments."
Woman
Feels that there is too much coverage of anti-war demonstrations by
children.
Woman
Feels that too much coverage is given to the anti-war protesters.
Woman
Feels that there is too much reporting on the anti-war protesters.
Man
Felt that it was unnecessary to show young children, who are playing truant
from school, giving their opinions against war.
Man
Felt that reporters were expressing too many personal opinions, rather than
asking educated questions to relevant guests.
Man
Felt that reports have portrayed Muslim anti-war protesters as 'victims' and
have reported their views without questioning their motives for being
against the war.
Woman
Feels that the news should not cover anti-war protests.
Woman
Felt that the coverage of the war in Iraq was of a good quality.
Man
Felt that there has been too much coverage of the speech made by President
Bush and was annoyed by this.
Man
Felt that there was insufficient coverage of the activities of the
Australian and New Zealand troops in the Gulf.
Man
Felt that there was insufficient news coverage of the anti-war protests and
objected to this.
Woman
Felt that there was too much coverage of anti-war protests.
Woman
Claimed that there was too much coverage of the anti-war protests and was
annoyed by this.
Woman
Felt that there was too much coverage of the anti-war protests by
schoolchildren.
Man
Re. Possible chemical attack in Britain: Annoyed by the simplistic
instructions given out. "How dare the BBC insult viewers by telling us to
simply close our windows if there is chemical attack."
Woman
Re. School children's protest: "I feel that it should be mentioned that the
reason these children can protest is because their grandfathers fought for
freedom in the Second World War."
Woman
Unhappy that the BBC covered the anti-war demonstrations by school pupils.
"The BBC appeared to be advocating truancy."
Man
Annoyed that there was no news coverage on analogue television, to state
when the deadline for Saddam Hussein ran out.
Man
Claimed that there was no coverage of the general strikes in France, Germany
and Italy and was annoyed by this.
Man
Feels that the news reports on the war in Iraq could be providing valuable
information to Iraqi troops.
Woman
Re. Iraq: Feels that the news reports on the Iraq war are giving too much
information away on the locations of the Allied forces.
Man
"I was very unhappy that the strikes in Zimbabwe were ignored. It is a very
topical issue and ignoring such coverage only serves to isolate these
issues."
Woman
Would like telephone numbers given out so the elderly can get advice, on
what to do in the event of a terrorist attack.
Man
Feels that there has been excessive coverage of anti-war protests and feels
this shows an unbalanced view of public opinion.
Man
Felt that there was too much coverage of the American view of war. "There
was a lot of coverage of the American politicians but little about the
demonstrations throughout the country."
Woman
Felt that too much sensitive military information was given during news
reports on the Iraq war and was annoyed by this.
Man
Felt that there had been excessive coverage of reporters donning gas masks
during news programmes and was annoyed by this. " I felt that this was
sensationalism."
Woman
"I felt that pictures from Baghdad showing bodies under the debris of the
missile strikes were showing continuously and felt this was unnecessary and
disturbing."
Man
"I feel that the BBC correspondents in Iraq should be wearing protective
body armour as well as gas masks."
Man
"I would like a broader range of people to be interviewed regarding the Iraq
conflict."
Man
"When reporters talk about 'coalitions' and 'allies', it should be explained
who exactly these groups are."
Woman
Feels that reports are giving away information which could be off use to
Iraq.

13 Calls: Felt that there was insufficient news coverage of the anti-war
protest in Brighton and objected to this.

23 Calls: Felt that there was insufficient news coverage of the Iraq war.

51 Calls: Felt that there was insufficient news coverage of the anti-war
protests and objected to this.

125 Calls: Felt that there was too much news coverage of the Iraq war.

Total calls for programme 289

---------

NEWSNIGHT
Woman
"I would have preferred Jeremy Paxman to have presented, instead of Kirsty
Wark."
Woman
"There is a large amount of the British public who are against the war and
yet this was not mentioned."
Man
Annoyed that Kirsty Wark kept pressing the Government minister about the
position of our troops. "There are forty five thousand British men and women
in Iraq and she should know that giving details of their whereabouts would
be more than dangerous."
Woman
Claimed that the presenter was pressurising the interviewees for more
information than they can give and was annoyed by this.
Man
Claimed that the programme was biased in favour of the war as very little
time was given to the anti-war perspective.
Man
Felt there was no attempt to interview people with anti-war views.

Total calls for programme 6

---------

NEWSROUND
Man
Claimed that the presenter said that 'serious action would be taken if UN
resolution 1441 was not adhered to'. "It should have referred to 'serious
consequences' instead. "

Total calls for programme 1

---------

OLD GREY WHISTLE TEST - GENERAL
Man
Would like to see a set of DVDs released, featuring performances from each
year that the series was broadcast.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

ONE O'CLOCK NEWS - GENERAL
Man
Feels that the programme should not be covering the views of anti-war
protesters, whilst British troops are engaged in war.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

ONE O'CLOCK NEWS
Woman
"I felt that the tone of the coverage made it appear that the BBC was joyful
that war had started with Iraq."
Man
"I was offended that the opinions of children were being reported as
important. One child stated that the troops should be brought home, but this
is ridiculous and upsetting for those of us who have relatives in the Gulf."
Man
Claimed that Anna Ford stated that it was 'the United States' war' and was
annoyed by this. "Britain also have thousands of troops in Iraq and this
should be stated."
Man
Claimed that a report showed an American serviceman 'rejoicing' and was
annoyed by this. "He was rejoicing at the idea of coming home once he had
'settled scores' in Baghdad, I think it was wrong to show this."
Woman
Claimed that the war was discussed as if it were exciting and found this to
be inappropriate.
Woman
Felt that it was unnecessary to show missiles being fired and targets being
hit. "It was extremely upsetting to see this."

Total calls for programme 6

---------

PRESENTATION ­ GENERAL ­ TX 22/02/03

4 Further Calls: Felt it was not made clear by the continuity announcer that
the next episode of GREAT WAR will be shown on BBC TWO in addition to BBC
FOUR and was annoyed at this.

Total calls for programme 4

---------

PRESENTATION - GENERAL
Man
Claimed that there were no announcements to indicate the schedule changes on
BBC ONE and BBC TWO and was annoyed by this.
Woman
"I feel it is unnecessary to trail forthcoming programmes, as there are
plenty of listings publications available."
Man
"I feel that numbers can be misinterpreted and confused depending on the
pronunciation and regional accents of the continuity announcers and am
annoyed by this."
Man
Claimed that there was no announcement regarding MATCH OF THE DAY LIVE
changing from BBC ONE to BBC TWO and was annoyed by this.
Woman
Feels that an on-screen caption should be displayed making viewers aware of
schedule changes.

Total calls for programme 5

---------

PRIME MINISTER
Man
Felt that the programme and particularly the speech, was of an excellent
quality.
Woman
Felt that the speech should not have been broadcast.
Man
Felt that it was irrelevant for the BBC to broadcast Prime Minister Tony
Blair.
Man
Felt that the Prime Minister should not have been shown on the BBC. "The BBC
are only encouraging him and the war."
Man
Felt that the programme was pro-Government because there were no opposing
views presented.

Total calls for programme 5
---------

QUESTION TIME - GENERAL
Woman
Feels that David Dimbleby is an inappropriate presenter as he does not
challenge the questions put forward by members of the audience.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

QUESTION TIME
Man
"It was stated that the Kurds have granted permission for the US to fly over
their airspace, but it was actually Turkey that gave this permission."
Man
"The audience was full of vocal activists who were mostly anti-war. When
discussing the war in Iraq, I believe that the audience should be balanced."
Man
"The programme should be retitled the 'Peter Haines show supported by David
Dimbleby', as no other guest was able to speak without their interruption."
Woman
Annoyed that Piers Morgan was allowed to insult President Bush and Donald
Rumsfeld without being challenged. "This man was unsuitable for the
programme."
Woman
Claimed that David Dimbleby refused to allow a question from an audience
member to be put to the panel and was annoyed by this.
Woman
Claimed that a guest stated that there were 'many Israelis on the American
Government. "I believe that this is untrue, and even if it were, what
difference would it make."
Woman
Felt that Piers Morgan was an unsuitable guest. "He was insulting the other
guests and I feel that this was unacceptable."
Woman
Felt that it should have been mentioned that America helped Britain during
the Second World War. "It is important for the younger generation to know
this, maybe they wouldn't be so anti-war if they did."
Woman
Felt that the audience displayed anti-war bias and was therefore not
representative of the public as a whole.
Woman
Felt that the audience was anti-war in their viewpoints and was therefore
not representative of society as a whole.
Woman
Felt that the audience was very anti-war and was therefore not
representative of the population as a whole.
Man
Felt that the programme was biased against the war, as all of the guests
harboured anti-war sentiments.
Woman
Felt that the views of Piers Morgan were anti-war and was annoyed that he
was not challenged more.
Woman
Felt that there should have been a broader range of people in the audience
not just those with an anti-war perspective.
Woman
Found the programme biased against the war as all the guests harboured
anti-war sentiments.
Man
Annoyed that he could not contact the programme by telephone to put a
question to the panel.
Woman
Annoyed that the programme could not be contacted by telephone in order to
put a question to the panel.
Woman
Claimed that David Dimbleby treated 'black' members of the audience
differently to 'white' members.
Man
Felt that David Dimbleby chaired the programme poorly by giving Piers Morgan
a free rein.
Woman
Felt that Piers Morgan was an inappropriate guest.
Woman
Felt that William Hague was an excellent choice of guest.
Woman
Felt that it was not suitable for a guest to say that 'Clare Short should be
taken out and shot'.

Total calls for programme 21

---------

REGIONAL NEWS - BBC LONDON NEWS
Man
Re. Iraq: Annoyed that the report did not give a Christian point of view. "I
believe that this is racism on the part of the BBC."

Total calls for programme 1

---------

REGIONAL NEWS - EAST MIDLANDS TODAY
Man
"I am fed up with the reports on anti-war protests."

Total calls for programme 1

---------

REGIONAL NEWS - LOOK EAST
Man
"I felt that the first seven or eight minutes of the programme should not
have been given over to anti-war protests."
Man
Feels that the report was biased in favour of the anti-war perspective
because no pro-war perspective was given.

Total calls for programme 2

---------

REGIONAL NEWS - MIDLANDS TODAY
Man
"There has been too much coverage of anti-war protesters."
Man
Claimed that the male presenter stated that the small numbers at anti-war
demonstrations indicated support for the Iraq war and was annoyed by this.

Total calls for programme 2

---------

REGIONAL NEWS - NORTHWEST TODAY
Woman
Claimed that more Muslim people were interviewed than Christian people and
was annoyed by this. "It gave a disproportional and unbalanced view."

Total calls for programme 1

---------

REGIONAL NEWS - SOUTH EAST TODAY
Man
Claimed that the coverage of the anti-war demonstration in Brighton
suggested it was a violent protest and was annoyed by this.
Woman
Felt that the coverage of the anti-war demonstration in Brighton implied
that it was a violent protest and was annoyed by this.

Total calls for programme 2

---------

REINVENTING THE CITY ­ TX 19/03/03
Man
Claimed that footage of the World Trade Centre was shown and felt that this
was in poor taste. "It did not mention the later attacks on it."
Woman
Claimed that there was footage of the World Trade Centre and felt that this
was in poor taste.

Total calls for programme 2

---------

REPEATS ­ COMPLAINTS

2 Calls: Feel that there are too many repeats on BBC television.

Total calls for programme 2

---------

REQUEST FOR REPEAT
Man
"I would like PROFILE to be repeated on analogue television at peak time."
Man
"I would like the episode of SIMPSONS that was broadcast today to be
repeated."
Woman
"I would like to see THIS LITTLE LIFE repeated."
Man
"I would like to see a repeat of DEVIL'S WORDS - THE BATTLE FOR AN ENGLISH
BIBLE."
Man
"I would like to see a repeat of the first two series of CLARISSA AND THE
COUNTRYMAN."
Man
"Please repeat DEVIL'S WORDS - THE BATTLE FOR AN ENGLISH BIBLE."
Woman
"Please repeat THIS LITTLE LIFE soon."
Woman
"THIS LITTLE LIFE was lovely and I would like to see it repeated."
Woman
Would like DEVIL'S WORDS - THE BATTLE FOR AN ENGLISH BIBLE to be repeated.
Man
Would like TWINS: THE IDENTITY TEST to be repeated.
Man
Would like to see TWINS: THE IDENTITY TEST repeated.
Woman
Would like to see a repeat of CHILDREN OF GREEN KNOWE.
Man
Would like to see a repeat of DEVIL'S WORDS - THE BATTLE FOR AN ENGLISH
BIBLE.
Woman
Would like to see a repeat of DEVIL'S WORDS- THE BATTLE FOR AN ENGLISH BIBLE
Woman
Would like to see a repeat of HOLIDAYS IN THE AXIS OF EVIL, which was
broadcast on 18/03/03.
Woman
Would like to see a repeat of THIS LITTLE LIFE.
Woman
Would like to see a repeat of WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION.
Woman
Would like to see a repeat of the series PAUL TEMPLE.
Man
Would like today's edition of ESCAPE TO THE SUN to be repeated due to it
being broadcast an hour earlier than billed.

3 Calls: Would like to see a repeat of ISRAEL'S SECRET WEAPON.

Total calls for programme 22

---------

SCHEDULING ­ GENERAL ­ TX 08/03/03
Man
Unhappy that TAKEN was broadcast fifteen minutes later than billed in the
Radio Times.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

SCHEDULING ­ GENERAL ­ TX 13/03/03

1 Further Call: Were annoyed that MATCH OF THE DAY LIVE featuring Celtic v
Liverpool was not shown as billed in some listings.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

SCHEDULING ­ GENERAL ­ TX 16/03/03

3 Further Calls: Were annoyed that ISRAEL'S SECRET WEAPON was not shown due
to an unbilled BBC NEWS SPECIAL.

Total calls for programme 3

---------

SCHEDULING ­ GENERAL ­ TX 17/03/03

3 Further Calls: Felt that ISRAEL'S SECRET WEAPON had been rescheduled too
late in the evening and were annoyed by this.

3 Further Calls: Were annoyed that DEVIL'S WORDS - THE BATTLE FOR AN ENGLISH
BIBLE was dropped due to the rescheduling of ISRAEL'S SECRET WEAPON.

Total calls for programme 6

---------

SCHEDULING - GENERAL
Man
"I would like PURE TAKEN to be broadcast on analogue television."
Woman
"I hope that the BBC will not continue to disrupt billed schedules to
accommodate coverage of the war in Iraq."
Woman
Annoyed that HOUSECALL IN THE COUNTRY was dropped due to an unbilled BBC
NEWS SPECIAL.
Woman
Annoyed that KILROY was broadcast later than billed due to extended coverage
of the Iraq war on BREAKFAST.
Woman
Annoyed that KILROY was shown later than billed due to extended coverage of
the Iraq war on BREAKFAST.
Woman
Annoyed that the morning schedule on BBC ONE was disrupted due to extended
coverage of the Iraq war on BREAKFAST.
Man
Annoyed that the unbilled BBC NEWS SPECIAL disrupted the morning schedule on
BBC ONE.
Woman
Unhappy that HOUSECALL IN THE COUNTRY was not shown as billed due to
coverage of the Iraq war on BBC NEWS SPECIAL.
Woman
Unhappy that NATION'S FAVOURITE FOOD was dropped due to MATCH OF THE DAY
LIVE being moved from BBC ONE to show a BBC NEWS SPECIAL.
Man
Unhappy that WEAKEST LINK and READY STEADY COOK were not broadcast as billed
due to the unscheduled BBC NEWS SPECIAL on BBC ONE.
Woman
Unhappy that WEAKEST LINK was dropped in order to accommodate the BBC NEWS
SPECIAL on BBC ONE.
Woman
Annoyed that ESCAPE TO THE SUN was broadcast earlier than billed.
Man
Annoyed that HOUSECALL IN THE COUNTRY was dropped.
Woman
Annoyed that LONDON PEOPLE was dropped from the schedule.
Woman
Annoyed that NATION'S FAVOURITE FOOD was dropped to provide coverage of
MATCH OF THE DAY LIVE.
Woman
Annoyed that NATION'S FAVOURITE FOOD was not shown due to coverage of MATCH
OF THE DAY LIVE.
Woman
Annoyed that NEIGHBOURS was broadcast on BBC TWO and not on BBC ONE as
billed due to an unbilled BBC NEWS SPECIAL
Man
Annoyed that PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE was dropped for extended coverage of
the Iraq war.
Man
Annoyed that PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE was not broadcast as billed.
Man
Annoyed that QUESTION TIME was not broadcast as billed due to an extended
TEN O'CLOCK NEWS.
Man
Annoyed that TROUBLE AT THE TOP was dropped to accommodate unbilled BBC NEWS
SPECIAL.
Man
Feels that programmes with sign language should be broadcast during the day.
Man
Unhappy that WEAKEST LINK was dropped due to the BBC NEWS SPECIAL on BBC
ONE.
Woman
Unhappy that WEAKEST LINK was dropped due to the BBC NEWS SPECIAL on BBC
ONE.
Man
Annoyed that TROUBLE AT THE TOP was dropped due to a BBC NEWS SPECIAL.
Man
Annoyed that WHISTLE TEST YEARS has been dropped.
Man
Annoyed that MATCH OF THE DAY LIVE featuring Liverpool v Celtic was not
broadcast in it's entirety on BBC ONE due to a BBC NEWS SPECIAL.

7 Calls: Were annoyed that BARGAIN HUNT was shown earlier than billed due to
BBC NEWS SPECIAL coverage of the Iraq war.

8 Calls: Were unhappy that coverage of the war in Iraq disrupted the
schedules on both BBC ONE and BBC TWO.

8 Calls: Were unhappy that READY STEADY COOK was dropped due to MATCH OF THE
DAY LIVE transferring from BBC ONE due to an unbilled BBC NEWS SPECIAL.

9 Calls: Were annoyed that MATCH OF THE DAY LIVE disrupted the billed
schedule on BBC TWO.

17 Calls: Were unhappy that HORIZON - GOD ON THE BRAIN was dropped due to
the unbilled BBC NEWS SPECIAL.

27 Calls: Were annoyed that MATCH OF THE DAY LIVE was switched from BBC TWO
to BBC ONE at half time.

57 Calls: Were annoyed that CBBC programmes were moved to BBC TWO to
accommodate the unbilled BBC NEWS SPECIAL on BBC ONE.

76 Calls: Were unhappy that HOW TO BE A GARDENER was dropped due to MATCH OF
THE DAY LIVE transferring from BBC ONE due to an unbilled BBC NEWS SPECIAL.

Total calls for programme 237

---------

SIX O'CLOCK NEWS
Man
"I am disgusted by the coverage of the protests. Too much focus has been
made about a bunch of school kids, and not enough support has been shown to
British troops."
Woman
"I am very unhappy that all we have seen is coverage of the war in Iraq, I
want to see some 'home' news."
Man
"I am very unhappy that today's programme has been dominated by anti-war
protesters."
Man
"I believe that Scud missiles are banned and I feel that this should have
been pointed out."
Woman
"I feel that it only worries relatives of troops to announce that British
forces are involved in a ground attack."
Woman
"I felt that the tone of the news was very negative and anti-British."
Woman
"There has been too much coverage of anti-war protesters."
Woman
"There is too little coverage of those who support the efforts of the
British Government and America as regards the Iraq crisis."
Man
"Too much coverage has been given to anti-war demonstrators and very little
to people who accept that the war in Iraq is necessary."
Man
Claimed that Mark Mardell made derogatory comments about Tony Blair and was
annoyed by this.
Woman
Claimed that it was stated that Tony Blair will have trouble with those
against him in Brussels and was annoyed by this. "I think he will have more
support."
Woman
Claimed that reports kept showing an anti-war perspective by reporting on
the anti-war demonstrations happening over the country and was annoyed by
this.
Man
Claimed that the on-screen caption stated a reporter was with the US One
hundred and first division. "I believe he was actually with the Third
Infantry Division."
Man
Claimed that the programme made the assumption that Tony Blair did not know
that the war in Iraq had started and was annoyed by this.
Woman
Claimed that the report was biased in favour of the war because it failed to
mention the fact that America supplied Iraq with weapons.
Man
Claimed that the programme was biased in favour of anti-war demonstrators
because of the amount of coverage given to demonstrations.
Man
Claimed the programme failed to give British troops any support and centred
too much on anti-war protesters.
Man
Felt that America should be referred to as the USA as America is two
continents not one country and the majority of American countries do not
want war waged in their name.
Woman
Felt that anti-war protests by children should not have been shown.
Man
Felt that the programme went into too much graphic detail.
Woman
Felt that the reports were biased against British troops by continually
stating the country is against them. "It is not the troops that we are
against but the Government."
Man
Felt that the war in Iraq was covered in a too light hearted manner.
Man
Felt that there was excessive coverage of the anti-war protesters and was
annoyed that the opinions of those who are pro-war were not discussed.
Man
Felt that there was excessive coverage of the anti-war protests. Believed
that there was no coverage from a pro-war point of view and was annoyed by
this.
Man
Felt the war was reported with too much hysteria.
Woman
Objected to the phrase 'taking out Saddam Hussein'. Felt that this was
impolite and disrespectful and was annoyed by this.
Man
Objected to the use of the term 'take out' in relation to the killing of
Saddam Hussein.
Man
Re. Anti-war demonstrations: Claimed that children were interviewed and was
annoyed by this.
Man
Re. Explosions on the fringes of Baghdad: Felt that the flash and the blast
of the explosion should not happen simultaneously as this was filmed from
some distance.
Man
Re. Iraq: Felt that John Nichol and Simon Weston were unsuitable military
experts to use during the report.
Woman
Re. War in Iraq: Unhappy that the report referred to the 'coalition'
attacking Iraq. "I feel that this term is misleading. As far as I am aware
only Britain and the United States are involved in the attacks."
Woman
Unhappy that anti-war protests were covered.
Woman
Unhappy that the school children protests were covered as the children
should have been at school.
Woman
Re. Iraq: "When the programme is using maps to show various areas in Iraq, I
would like to see a scale showing the distances between the various places."

Total calls for programme 34

---------

SONGS OF PRAISE SCHOOL CHOIR OF THE YEAR ­ TX 09/03/03

1 Further Call: Thought that the programme was excellent.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

SPORT ­ GENERAL

4 Calls: Feels that there is too much sport on BBC television.

Total calls for programme 4

---------

TECHNO GAMES 2003 - GENERAL
Man
Feels that Philippa Forrester is a poor choice of presenter.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

TEN O'CLOCK NEWS ­ TX 19/03/03
Woman
"I felt that it was unnecessary to interview the Londoner who expressed
concern about living in the capital in the current political climate."
Man
"The programme was excellent."
Woman
Claimed that there was no coverage of anti-war demonstrations in London and
was annoyed by this.

Total calls for programme 3

---------

TEN O'CLOCK NEWS
Woman
"I believe that there is no evidence that Scud missiles were fired by Iraq,
as stated."
Man
"I would have liked to hear more about the passage of the Turkish army
entering Iraq in defiance of the Americans."
Man
"It is misleading to state that 'Europe is against war with Iraq', as it is
only France, Germany and Belgium who oppose it."
Man
Felt that it should have been mentioned that the reports from the Kuwait are
being monitored by the coalition forces.
Man
"I felt that as it was stated Iraq were monitoring reports from Iraq it
should also have been pointed out that the US authorities were monitoring
reports from US camps."
Man
"I felt that the gas masks were unnecessary sensationalism."
Man
"I felt that the programme was biased against the anti-war perspective due
to the lack of coverage it received."
Man
"The BBC is only interested in broadcasting anti-war demonstrations when
they turn violent."
Woman
Feels that the report should have highlighted the effect of war on the
people of Iraq, and by not doing so was showing bias in favour of war.
Woman
Felt there should be more coverage of the casualties.
Man
Re. Washington report: Felt that the report did not focus on the issues
raised by Ari Fleischer, as a result the report was a poor quality.
Woman
Felt that the Queen's message to the troops should have been read out.
Man
Re. Item on servicemen going into Iraq: "I dispute the word 'coalition' as
it is an American invention in the hope that the United States will gain
support. I also take exception to the word campaign, which suggests that
there is more support than there is for the war."

Total calls for programme 13

---------

THIS LITTLE LIFE ­ TX 19/03/03

3 Further Calls: Thought that the programme was excellent.

Total calls for programme 3

---------

THIS WEEK
Man
Felt that Diane Abbott was aggressive in her manner and was therefore an
unsuitable choice of guest.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

TWEENIES
Man
Claimed that the Indian marriage ceremony which was shown on the programme
was not an accurate representation and was annoyed by this.

Total calls for programme 1
---------

WEATHER ­ GENERAL

1 Call: Was annoyed that metric measurements are used rather than Imperial.

Total calls for programme 1

---------

TOTAL CALLS LOGGED WITH COMMENTS = 884

END OF TELEVISION LOG 20/03/03