[Media-watch] BBC reporting lacks accuracy / objectivity

Darren Smith d.j.smith at stir.ac.uk
Tue Mar 25 12:16:50 GMT 2003

Dear Mr. Mosey,

I am not satisfied by how the "Scud" reporting was handled.

I'm not accusing you, or the BBC, of malicious "misinformation" or
"propaganda." Whatever motives you wish to ascribe or deny, the basic
facts are accepted. BBC reporting of Iraqi missile attacks were
*factually incorrect* (and someone in the BBC must be held accountable
for this - can you tell me where the buck stops?) Several reporters, and
broadcasters, repeatedly referred to them as Scuds, even though this
information was not certain at the time. You must also accept the
political significance attached to calling them Scuds.

You'd say the BBC puts things right as soon as possible. But what does
that mean?

Does it mean you merely satisfy yourselves at BBC head offices that a
small correction story is broadcast on Newsnight to a small audience?

If so, that doesn't satisfy me. If you wish to put right the factually
incorrect information output by the BBC to a particular audience, you
must broadcast, with similar prominence to the original story, a
suitable correction to that same audience.

I suggest you can undo the damage of your misleading report (again, I'm
not ascribing any kind of nefarious motive to BBC conduct) by
broadcasting a specific correction report. Some newspapers have
"Corrections & Clarifications" columns, and BBC should have something
similar.

Please don't dismiss my criticism by suggesting I am "accusing the BBC,
and a number of brave correspondents, of indulging in systematic
misinformation and propaganda." I am highlighting BBC mistakes, and
suggesting how you could issue a correction.

Another BBC mistake I'd like to raise is the comment by Ben Brown, upon
finding Iraqi gas masks, that it suggests Hussein's own troops are
preparing for Iraqi use of gas weapons. How can Brown have known this?
Is he just making it up? Equally likely, the Iraqi gas masks could be
part of Iraqi standard kit, or even be there to defend Iraqis from US/UK
gas use. I feel this is symptomatic of lack of objectivity.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Darren Smith
--

--
The University of Stirling is a university established in Scotland by