[Media-watch] Fw:

YvonneMarshall Brotherhoods at stevenston4.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 11:43:13 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <A
title=roger.mosey at bbc.co.uk href="mailto:roger.mosey at bbc.co.uk">Roger Mosey

To: <A title=Brotherhoods at stevenston4.fsnet.co.uk
href="mailto:Brotherhoods at stevenston4.fsnet.co.uk">YvonneMarshall
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 10:43 AM
Subject: RE:

<FONT
color=#0000ff>(private)
<FONT
color=#0000ff>
Dear
Ian
<FONT
color=#0000ff>
Thank you for
writing.
<FONT
color=#0000ff>
The point I was
responding to was the apparent allegation that BBC coverage is
systematically going in for "misinformation" or "propaganda". I do not believe
that anyone who has consumed all our output - from BBC FOUR News to News 24,
from Newsnight to the One O'Clock News - could honestly believe that to be the
case.

I do hope people
understand that we have brave and honest correspondents who are doing
their best to report on, and interpret, a complex and ever-changing story. I
also know that my editorial colleagues here in London have a determination,
as do I, to reflect the widest possible range of opinion and to assess
information as fairly and as accurately as we can; and we will continue to do
so.

Best
wishes
<FONT
color=#0000ff>Roger

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: YvonneMarshall
  [mailto:Brotherhoods at stevenston4.fsnet.co.uk] Sent: 25 March 2003
  00:17To: Roger Mosey; INF Reply; media-watch at lists.stir.ac.uk;
  Caroline Pacitti; billy clark; Neil FerrySubject: Fw:

  Dear Roger Mosey,

  This is surely a very busy time for
  you, but I hope you will have found some quiet moments to reflect on
  the comments you made during this morning's debate (during the Lesley Riddoch
  Show, hosted by Alex Bell) in which you dismissed the claim, asserted by David
  Miller, that the BBC's reporting of Scud missile attacks was inaccurate and
  misleading - in the absence of any subsequent corrections or qualifications to
  those reports, the BBC's 'official' record remains untruthful. You have
  been challenged by David Miller to refute such claims and I look forward
  to hearing such a rebuttal, although I dare say that (unless
  you deliver it from a far-flung place wearing a flak-jacket ) it
  will not have the same impact on the mass-consciousness as the original
  reports by Ben Brown et al.

  I listened to the show, and Alex Bell accurately
  dictated an e-mail message I had sent in regarding the Richard Sambrook Feb
  6th memo which, although in the public domain very shortly
  after it's issuance, has merited scant debate.

  It is disheartening to hear the Head
  of BBC Television News dismiss reasoned and analytical
  observations (are these not meant to be the stock-in-trade of the
  experienced and trustworthy journalist ?) with such  flippant and
  patronising remarks, although it is understandable that, with the
  argument so clearly lost, some element of panic may have
  disturbed one's normally scruplulous manners.

  I've attached a message I sent to the
  Lesley Riddoch Show last May. It was never acknowledged, although
  I'm sure - the BBC being the caring and attentive creature that it
  is - that it was noted. If you have read this far then I would urge you
  to go 'the extra mile' (just as our politicians did with regard to
  'Saddam') and read it. It might not be comfortable, but then, 'radio' is
  not your current concern as you clearly have bigger proverbials to
  fry.

  To save you the trouble - many people get
  their 'news' of the world from outlets other than TV. I'm sure this
  does not come as a surprise to you, but judging by your unprofessional
  and, frankly, rude performance on the Riddoch Show today, the extent of 'real'
  general-knowledge among the populus has not been conveyed to you.

  Please take some sincere advice from someone who
  has spent considerable time writing this - watching his words carefully
  - and also has the benefit of being able to back-space, take out
  expletives, correct mistakes etc. You didn't have that advantage today on
  the Riddoch Show, and in that sense I sympathise with you and the
  situation you were in - it was uncomfortable listening and you did not
  come out of it at all well,  so I can't imagine how it must've felt being
  on the receiving end of it. But please, please have the good grace
  and common sense to admit that you were wrong because, let's face it,
   you were clearly wrong. Also, it would be nice to hear you issue
  an apology to David Miller for your patronising dismissal of his legitimate
  queries.

  Most importantly of all, and following-up on
  David Miller's most recent message to you : please do address the
  issuance of misleading/false statements by BBC Foreign Correspondents as a
  matter of urgency. (That is, I believe, your job ?) A clear editorial
  statement from you is needed, right now, to assuage deep concerns among
  peoples all over this planet that the BBC can no longer be trusted to provide
  impartial coverage of World Events.

  I look forward to a statement from you. Please
  don't bother to reply personally - a televised (and, if you deign to grant it)
  radio-version of a clear statement on your current overall editorial-policy
  regarding the invasion of Iraq will do just nicely.

  (And, by the way, do try to keep up - perhaps you
  should spend more time on-line ?)

  Regards,

  Ian Brotherhood