[Media-watch] Fw:

YvonneMarshall Brotherhoods at stevenston4.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 00:03:06 GMT 2003

Dear Roger Mosey,

This is surely a very busy time for you,
but I hope you will have found some quiet moments to reflect on the
comments you made during this morning's debate (during the Lesley Riddoch Show,
hosted by Alex Bell) in which you dismissed the claim, asserted by David Miller,
that the BBC's reporting of Scud missile attacks was inaccurate and misleading -
in the absence of any subsequent corrections or qualifications to those reports,
the BBC's 'official' record remains untruthful. You have
been challenged by David Miller to refute such claims and I look forward to
hearing such a rebuttal, although I dare say that (unless you deliver
it from a far-flung place wearing a flak-jacket ) it will not have the same
impact on the mass-consciousness as the original reports by Ben Brown et
al.

I listened to the show, and Alex Bell accurately
dictated an e-mail message I had sent in regarding the Richard Sambrook Feb 6th
memo which, although in the public domain very shortly after it's
issuance, has merited scant debate.

It is disheartening to hear the Head
of BBC Television News dismiss reasoned and analytical
observations (are these not meant to be the stock-in-trade of the
experienced and trustworthy journalist ?) with such  flippant and
patronising remarks, although it is understandable that, with the argument
so clearly lost, some element of panic may have disturbed one's
normally scruplulous manners.

I've attached a message I sent to the
Lesley Riddoch Show last May. It was never acknowledged, although I'm
sure - the BBC being the caring and attentive creature that it is
- that it was noted. If you have read this far then I would urge you to
go 'the extra mile' (just as our politicians did with regard to 'Saddam')
and read it. It might not be comfortable, but then, 'radio' is not your
current concern as you clearly have bigger proverbials to fry.

To save you the trouble - many people get
their 'news' of the world from outlets other than TV. I'm sure this
does not come as a surprise to you, but judging by your unprofessional and,
frankly, rude performance on the Riddoch Show today, the extent of 'real'
general-knowledge among the populus has not been conveyed to you.

Please take some sincere advice from someone who
has spent considerable time writing this - watching his words carefully
- and also has the benefit of being able to back-space, take out
expletives, correct mistakes etc. You didn't have that advantage today on
the Riddoch Show, and in that sense I sympathise with you and the situation
you were in - it was uncomfortable listening and you did not come out of it
at all well,  so I can't imagine how it must've felt being on the receiving
end of it. But please, please have the good grace and common sense to
admit that you were wrong because, let's face it,  you were clearly
wrong. Also, it would be nice to hear you issue an apology to David Miller for
your patronising dismissal of his legitimate queries.

Most importantly of all, and following-up on David
Miller's most recent message to you : please do address the issuance
of misleading/false statements by BBC Foreign Correspondents as a matter of
urgency. (That is, I believe, your job ?) A clear editorial statement from
you is needed, right now, to assuage deep concerns among peoples all over this
planet that the BBC can no longer be trusted to provide impartial coverage of
World Events.

I look forward to a statement from you. Please
don't bother to reply personally - a televised (and, if you deign to grant it)
radio-version of a clear statement on your current overall editorial-policy
regarding the invasion of Iraq will do just nicely.

(And, by the way, do try to keep up - perhaps you
should spend more time on-line ?)

Regards,

Ian Brotherhood