[Media-watch] Angus Roxburgh

Mark and Andrea Priestley priestley at onetel.net.uk
Fri Mar 14 00:21:46 GMT 2003

My reply to
letter sent today - at least the man replies promptly...
<FONT
face="Times New Roman">
Dear Mark

I'm afraid I did not receive your message the first time. You
and your colleague, Darren Smith, seem to be rather
obsessed with what seems to me to be a trivial
point.
As it happens I totally agree with your comments about American
policy, and as I pointed out to Darren Smith, an earlier
Online piece by me was criticised (in, surprise
surprise, the Sunday Telegraph) for describing US <FONT
size=2>"bullying" tactics.
The phrase "dirty work" is a perfectly common turn of phrase
used to describe getting someone else to do something
that you want done but would prefer not to do yourself.
That is what France appeared to be doing by making it so
clear that it would use its veto -  making the smaller <FONT
size=2>countries feel voting for the resolution would be pointless, and
thereby lessening the chances it would need to use its
veto.
You can argue about the phrase if you wish, but it in no way is
intended as a wholesale attack on France. You are taking
the phrase too literally - it's just an expression! Have
a look at my earlier piece about US bullying - perhaps
that will address your concerns about my lack of balance!
Yours
Angus Roxburgh

-----Original Message----- From: Mark
Priestley To: Angus Roxburgh <FONT
size=2>Sent: 13/03/03 14:57 Subject: BBC report on
France
Second attempt to send this <FONT
size=2>  Dear Angus I note
that your report on France and Russia states, 'put crudely, <FONT
size=2>France is trying to get the smaller countries to do its dirty work
for it' (<A
href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2841757.stm"
target=_blank>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2841757.stm
<<A
href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2841757.stm"
target=_blank>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2841757.stm> ).
This is crude journalism that is not worthy of the BBC,
and more at home in the Sun.
*       What evidence to you have
for stating that French diplommacy is 'dirty work'?

*       Why is French diplomacy
'dirty work', when British diplomacy is reported
differently, and when US 'dirty work' (e.g. the UN spying <FONT
size=2>scandal unearthed by the Observer last week and bribery and
intimidation of small countries) is not even reported?

*       Why does the BBC report
French 'dirty work' and not US 'dirty work'?
I would welcome your comments.
  --------
Mark Priestley