[Media-watch] Interview with Zbigniew Brzezinski

Mark and Andrea Priestley priestley at onetel.net.uk
Fri Mar 14 00:12:15 GMT 2003

<FONT
color=#0000ff>With reference to the media alerts tonight, my offering. Please
feel free to plagiarise this letter. Incidently, Paxman does normally
reply.
<FONT
face="Comic Sans MS">
Dear
Jeremy
I was pleasantly
surprised last night to hear Zbigniew Brzezinski calling UK and US policy on
Iraq into question. It is not often in these times that you hear someone with
his 'hawkish' credentials pouring cold water on the accepted wisdom that Iraq
needs to be attacked. In particular he stated that the current resolution
is merely a pretext for a war.
<FONT
face="Comic Sans MS">

  <FONT
  face="Comic Sans MS">'When I look at the 6 points, 2 of
  them strike me as utterly frivolous... The first one that Saddam has to appear
  on television and speak in Arabic and so forth.  That's clearly designed
  to humiliate and to provoke a negative reaction.  And the second one
  which is that he has to promise to destroy mobile production facilities for
  biological weapons.  Something that he denies having.  Something
  that the Inspectors have not located and something which neither the UK nor
  the US have produced any evidence that they
  exist.'
Why then
did you not make more of this? Why dismiss his comments as abruptly as you did?
A senior and credible US figure, lucidly stating arguments which have been
put forward by opponents of the war, and which until now have not received the
media coverage they deserve, is surely worthy of more
attention.
<FONT
face="Comic Sans MS">
As I have
pointed out to the BBC before, there is compelling evidence against Iraq
possessing weapons of mass destruction (UNSCOM reports;  the recently
emerged transcripts of interviews with Hussein Kamel [<A
href="http://middleeastreference.org.uk/kamel.html" target=_blank><FONT
face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff
size=3>http://middleeastreference.org.uk/kamel.html]; and a recent
dossier produced by Dr Glen Rangwala - found at <FONT
color=#000000 size=3><A
href="http://www.middleeastreference.org.uk/iraqweapons.html">http://www.middleeastreference.org.uk/iraqweapons.html
). In contrast the evidence produced to support
war has been flimsy, reliant on assertion, and in some cases
downright risible (e.g.the plagiarised UK dossier). It only retains its
credibility because the media continues to assert it as fact while ignoring the
former evidence. The Hussein Kamel transcript is a case in point; this briefly
emerged on Today at 6.45 in the morning, and then disappeared. It never surfaced
on Newsnight.
<FONT
face="Comic Sans MS">
I call
upon you to give more credence to the views expressed by those who oppose this
war. In particular I ask you to fully investigate the claims made by Mr.
Brzezinski.
<FONT
face="Comic Sans MS">
Your