[Media-watch] Weapons of mass destruction

Mark and Andrea Priestley priestley at onetel.net.uk
Wed Mar 12 00:12:19 GMT 2003

This was posted on
Medialens today by Free Spirit
<SPAN
class=002523100-12032003>
Hi to all on
medialens... I'm working with a group of US / Canadian activists from
www.democraticunderground.com in an attempt to publicise a highly detailed
critique of US & UK accusations concerning Iraq's WMD. We hope to gain press
coverage of this report to discredit the US/UK assertion that Iraq is in
material breach of 1441, thereby removing their major stated rationale for war.
The current strategy is to target UK journalists and MP's on the basis that they
are generally more sympathetic, and Blair is facing strong revolts as it is.
I'd appreciate it if anyone with good media links, or links with
politicians etc. could join this effort to get the contents of this dossier into
the public domain. This critique is compiled by Dr Glen Rangwala, the
Cambridge academic who was responsible for exposing Tony Blair’s much vaunted
intelligence dossier as a plagiarised version of an old PHD report. All
the information in the report has been compiled from reputable sources (with
direct links to the source), mostly UN reports and weapons inspectors reports,
and is structured in such a way as to directly disprove / discredit specific
allegations made by the US & UK in the last 6 months. This document
has the potential to seriously discredit the US/Uk arguements on WMD, seriously
questioning the evidence that Iraq is in material breach of UN resolution 1441,
and thereby seriously eroding the current justification for war. It
should be noted that the document doesn't actually contain new information as
such, what it does is to collate all the US/UK allegations in one space together
with detailed rebuttals of these assertions sourced mainly from official UN and
weapons inspectors reports. IMO it is a highly valuable resource for anyone
attempting to discredit the WMD arguement, and hopefully if it can be spread
widely enough the media will have to pick up on it. The dossier can be
found here http://www.middleeastreference.org.uk/iraqweapons.html
one of several threads on democraticunderground is here
http://www.democraticunderground.com/duforum/DCForumID66/3099.html
and the Urban 75 thread relating to this is here
http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35378&am
p;perpage=25&pagenumber=1 The DU people are currently emailing all
UK anti-war MP's, and have been talking with a uk journalist (though i'm not
sure who, or whether this will result in anything). Basically if anyone can help
get this out into the public domain IMO it has the potential to seriously blow
up in the media this week, throwing a major spanner in the works of the US/UK
push to legitimise war. all comments appreciated, and media savvy input
is particularly needed.
I am not affiliated to the author of this report btw, just believe it
deserves a much wider
audience.fs
--------------
Mark and Andrea