[Media-watch] BBC news 9th March

Mark and Andrea Priestley priestley at onetel.net.uk
Sun Mar 9 22:42:07 GMT 2003

<FONT
color=#0000ff>Tonight on the BBC 10pm news Matt Frei stated that the only way to
stop war is for Saddam Hussein to capitulate completely. This seems starnge
given that it is not Saddam Huseein that is prosecuting war. Pleasw rite to Matt
Frei and Richrad Sambrook to correct this assertion.
<FONT
color=#0000ff>
<FONT
color=#0000ff><A
href="mailto:matt.frei at bbc.co.uk">matt.frei at bbc.co.uk
<FONT
face="Comic Sans MS" color=#000000><A
href="mailto:richard.sambrook at bbc.co.uk">richard.sambrook at bbc.co.uk
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
My
letter follows:
<FONT face=Arial
color=#000000 size=2>
<SPAN
class=064463122-09032003>
Dear
Matt
I have been
encouraged recently that the BBC reporting of the Iraq crisis has been slightly
more balanced than previously. In particular I believe that your reporting is
the best on offer at the BBC. I was therefore disappointed tonight to hear you
say that the only person who can stop a war at this stage is Saddam Hussein,
through his complete capitulation. This statement seems to be naive
beyond belief, and demonstrates that you have swallowed the US propaganda
hook, line and sinker.
<SPAN
class=064463122-09032003>
Let me pose a few
questions:
  Firstly
  who is attacking whom? It does not seem to me that Saddam Hussein is
  attacking the US. Even proponents of the war would admit that Iraq represents
  merely a theoretical threat to the west at present. Remember that this war is
  being waged for pre-emptive purposes if the political spin is to be believed.
  There is little convincing evidence that Iraq even possesses weapons of mass
  destruction, and some quite convincing evidence to suggest that any such
  weapons were destroyed as long ago as 1991 (although this is not generally
  reported by the BBC). For example recently discovered transcipts from Hussein
  Kamel, the testimony of former weapons inspectors like Scott Ritter, and the
  recent IAEA report on Iraqi nuclear capability all cast doubt on Iraq's
  alleged capability.
  <SPAN
  class=064463122-09032003><SPAN
  class=064463122-09032003>Who has manufactured this crisis?
  Last year when war against Iraq was first mooted, this was dismiised by most
  thinking peopla as being implausible.Now we are facing war, and the people of
  Iraq are facing a holocaust. The situation has been achieved through a process
  of continually shifting rhetorical goalposts. The speed with which the
  political discourse has shifted has been breathtaking, and I believe strongly
  that the likes of the BBC must be held at least in part accountable for this;a
  lack of penetrating political analysis and a fear of criticising the
  government have been combined with an approach to news which focuses on
  entertainment - armchair voyerism thus replaces genuine political analysis,
  and meanwhile the world slips inexorably towards
  catastrophe.
  Who has
  the power to stop this madness? Not Saddam Hussein. Only our
  leaders can achieve this by ordering the troops to return home, and to do so
  would not be seen as weakness, but as a strong policy; the weapons inspections
  have been resumed, they appear to be succeeeding, and Iraq continues to
  destroy what weapons it still possesses
Please do not
patronise your viewers by parroting US propaganda.There is only one way this
conflict will be stopped and that is a decision by the aggressors to withdraw.
Despite the rhetoric of politicians, this decision is not dependent on Iraq. It
would appear that the decisioon to wage war was taken long ago regardless of
Iraq's actions.
<SPAN
class=064463122-09032003>
Yours