[Media-watch] Kirsty Wark on Newsnight

Mark and Andrea Priestley priestley at onetel.net.uk
Wed Mar 5 23:32:30 GMT 2003

<SPAN
class=994162223-05032003>Kirsty Wark interviewed
Iain Duncan-Smith tonight. As predicted he supported war. At one stage he
described a highly simplified and distorted version of events since 1991,
including the old lie that Saddam Hussein expelled the original UNSCOM team in
1998. Kirsty Wark made no comment at this, despite the fact that the BBC has
been reminded on numerous occasions that this is a falsehood - indeed Jeremy
Paxman challenged the Prime Minister on this very issue in his recent
interview.
<SPAN
class=994162223-05032003><SPAN
class=700014423-05032003>
<SPAN
class=994162223-05032003>Please write to Kirsty
at <A
href="mailto:kirsty.wark at bbc.co.uk">kirsty.wark at bbc.co.uk
<SPAN
class=994162223-05032003><SPAN
class=700014423-05032003>
<SPAN
class=994162223-05032003>My letter is as
follows
<SPAN
class=994162223-05032003>
Dear
Kirsty
watched your interview tonight with the leader of the opposition. I have to say
that the questions posed by your panel of amateurs proved to be more penetrating
than anything you directed at him. In particular I was disappointed that you
allowed him to get away with peddling a simplistic version of events since the
last Gulf War, including the by now well worn lie that Saddam 'kicked out
the inspectors' in 1998. This untruth is regularly repeated by politicians
on BBC news programmes. Richard Sambrook knows that this is false, and so should
you; and yet BBC journalists repeatedly fail to challenge it. Duncan Smith may
believe it. <FONT
face="Comic Sans MS">It's funny how a <SPAN
class=941580323-19022003>lie repeated often enough becomes an accepted
truth, and he probably lacks the intellectual sophistication to see past the
obvious and oft-repeated homilies.
<SPAN
class=425112123-16022003>
<SPAN
class=425112123-16022003><SPAN
class=941580323-19022003><FONT
size=3>In fact the weapons inspectors were withdrawn on the 'advice' of the US
prior to Operation Desert
Fox. This version of events is supported by no less a person than
Kofi Annan, who said, "I did get a call from Ambassador Burleigh saying that
they are asking U.S. personnel in the region to leave. And they had also advised
chief arms inspector Richard Butler to withdraw UNSCOM". All of this was
widely reported at the time, and yet
has become obscured by the political
rhetoric since.
<SPAN
class=425112123-16022003>
<SPAN
class=425112123-16022003>It is your job, and indeed your duty to the British
people at a time of crisis, to challenge the lies and sophistries of
politicians. I cannot believe that your failure to do so on this issue stems
from ignorance or lack of ability, and it is
thus easy to conclude that your lack of challenge reflects your own
political assumptions. If this is the case, it is unforgivable, and furthermore
makes a mockery of the claims of the BBC to impartiality. Richard Sambrook
stated that 'I think it is absolutely the BBC's role to be the
objective and calm voice, reporting what we know to be fact and exploring the
various viewpoints involved. This has never been more important than in our
coverage of Iraq. As you point out, the stakes are extremely high and huge
numbers of lives are at risk' (private correspondence, January
2003).  I am finding this hard to believe at
present.
<SPAN
class=425112123-16022003>
<SPAN
class=425112123-16022003>I would welcome your
comments.
<SPAN
class=425112123-16022003>
<SPAN
class=425112123-16022003>Yours sincerely
--------------
Mark and Andrea
Priestley
17 Braemar Avenue