[Media-watch] Lobby the Media to cover Observer dirty tricks story

Darren Smith djs1 at stir.ac.uk
Sun Mar 2 13:26:33 GMT 2003

The Sunday Observer obtained a memo which reveals the US is "conducting
a secret 'dirty tricks' campaign against UN Security Council delegations
in New York as part of its battle to win votes in favour of war against
Iraq."

This is an important story which. We should lobby the mainstream
tv/radio media to also broadcast this story, and further investigate.

SOURCES

The original Observer article can be read at:
http://www.observer.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,905936,00.html

The leaked memo is also available on the Observer website:
http://www.observer.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,905954,00.html

EMAIL ADDRESSES

If you can, please send a short, polite email to each of the following
(and any more you can think of). Ask them to cover this story, to
investigate it further, and to ask the awkard questions it raises.

Richard Sambrook, head of BBC News: richard.sambrook at bbc.co.uk

Today programme: Kevin.Marsh at bbc.co.uk and today at bbc.co.uk

Newsnight: george.entwistle at bbc.co.uk and newsnight at bbc.co.uk

Jonathan Munro ITN news head: jonathan.munro at itn.co.uk

Here's my email:

Dear Mr. Munro / ITN

I read in Sunday's Observer (2 March) that the US is "conducting a
secret 'dirty tricks' campaign against UN Security Council delegations
in New York as part of its battle to win votes in favour of war against
Iraq." The Observer obtained a leaked document written by Frank Koza, a
"top official at the National Security Agency." I urge you to broadcast
and further investigate this story via the main ITN news bulletins.

Presently it is suggested that many people within Britain would support
a war against Iraq if a second UN Security Council resolution were
obtained, and Tony Blair has made this central to both his Iraq policy
and his own political survival. This could all be undermined if the
United States are shown to be perverting the decision making process at
the U.N. Security Council.

Once again, I urge you to investigate this timely and critical story,
and to ask the awkward questions it raises. I would appreciate your
feedback if you deem this story not to be sufficiently news-worthy to
make your reporting priorities.

Regards,

Darren

--