[Media-watch] coldtype latest

Tony Sutton tonysutton at newsdesign.net
Tue Jun 10 15:48:44 BST 2003

New at coldtype.net:

MEDIABEAT / Norman Solomon
Trust, war and terrorism
In a democracy, leaders must earn and retain the public¹s trust. No matter
how loudly those leaders proclaim their dedication to fighting terrorism, we
must not flinch from examining whether they are trustworthy. On March 17,
2003, in a major address to the American people, President George W. Bush
declared: ³Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no
doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most
lethal weapons ever devised.² On April 10, in a televised message to the
people of Iraq, Prime Minister Tony Blair said: ³We did not want this war.
But in refusing to give up his weapons of mass destruction, Saddam gave us
no choice but to act.²
Read NORMAN SOLOMON at http://www.coldtype.net/mediabeat.html

BROADSIDES / Antonia Zerbisias
500 channels and nothing new
Can you feel it? The excitement over the 2003-2004 television season? No, I
didn¹t think so. Never mind the critics¹ ho-hum attitude towards the new
American primetime offerings, even programmers seem wary. ³This was a very
flat year,¹¹ CTV programming president Susanne Boyce told the trade paper
Variety. ³We were fortunate not to have to buy much because it was a weak
year.¹¹
Read ANTONIA ZERBISIAS at http://www.coldtype.net/broad.html

LONDON CALLING / George Monbiot
Let¹s do a Monsanto
Something about the launch of the [British] government¹s ³great GM debate²
last week rang a bell. It was, perhaps, the contrast between the ambition of
its stated aims and the feebleness of their execution. Though the
environment secretary, Margaret Beckett, claims she wants ³to ensure all
voices are heard², she has set aside an advertising budget of precisely
zero. Public discussions will take place in just six towns. Then I got it.
Five years ago, Monsanto, the world¹s most controversial biotechnology
company, did the same thing . . .
Read GEORGE MONBIOT at http://www.coldtype.net/London.html

MEDIA DIARY / Danny Schechter
UPDATED EVERY WEEKDAY- Don't miss Danny Schecter's daily media weblog report
­ five pages of blistering criticism of news and politics.
Read DANNY SCHECHTER at http://www.coldtype.net/danny.html

PLUS: BOOKS, MAGAZINES, NEWSPAPERS, ESSAYS, PHOTO-JOURNALISM & MORE - ALL IN
PDF FORMAT - ALL FREE!