[Media-watch] IFJ Warns Coalition of "Backlash" Over Plans to Impose Controls on Journalists

David Miller david.miller at stir.ac.uk
Thu Jun 5 22:23:01 BST 2003

Iraqi
> [...]
> warns
> that trying to control media will smack of censorship and confirm the
fear
> of many that this is occupation not liberation.
>
> "Unless Iraqi colleagues are fully involved in setting the standards
for
> journalism a rush to regulate will hinder efforts to build a free and
> independent media community. The priority must be to place journalism
> firmly
> in the hands of media people themselves, not to impose rules that will
> undermine an emerging democratic process," said White.
>
> The IFJ says that previous experience - in Bosnia, for example, where,
> like
> Iraq, there are deep community divisions based on religious and ethnic
> differences - is that journalists should be brought together to agree
> themselves the rules and standards for ethical conduct.
>
> Earlier this week, the IFJ joined with other professional groups and
media
> experts who met in Athens under the auspices of the Greek Presidency
of
> the
> European Union and US State Department to discuss plans for developing
> new
> media landscape for Iraq, a country with deep divisions on religious
and
> ethnic grounds. Independently, coalition officials in Iraq have been
> drawing
> up their own plans to regulate media.
>
> "This is the first we have heard about a plan to impose a code on
> journalists," said the IFJ. "It's clear that there is confusion, a
lack of
> coherent strategy including a failure to consult widely within the
media
> community."
>
> In Athens, the IFJ says some useful proposals were made that involve
> empowering Iraqi media in defining a new media landscape for the
country.
> "Other meetings have been held including a ground-breaking meeting of
> journalists leaders from the Arab world and the IFJ in Rabat in April
this
> year when joint actions in support of Iraqi media were agreed," said
> White.
>
> The IFJ says that the explosion of new titles and media in Baghdad is
> sign
> that journalists and independent media want to shake off the
traditions of
> press control under the regime of Saddam Hussein when media were
> controlled
> by the government and his son ran the journalists' union.
> Concerns over inflammatory journalism that may include incitement to
> violence and opposition to the Coalition's role in post-war Iraq
should
> not
> lead to imposition of inflexible controls on media says the IFJ.
"Iraqi
> journalists themselves should be empowered to take the lead in
combating
> unprofessionalism - this is not a job for generals and
administrators,"
> said
> White.
>
> Further information: + 32 2 235 22 00, www.ifj.org
> The IFJ represents more than 500,000 journalists in more than 100
> countries

**************This e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the
use
of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions
presented
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of
the
NUJ. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you
have
received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding,
printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly