[Media-watch] New at coldtype

Tony Sutton tonysutton at newsdesign.net
Wed Jun 4 13:45:39 BST 2003

New at coldtype.net:

LONDON CALLING / George Monbiot
Africa¹s scar gets angrier
Perhaps the defining moment of Tony Blair¹s premiership was the speech that
he gave to the Labour party conference in October 2001. In June, his party
had returned to office with a monumental majority. In September, two planes
were flown into the World Trade Centre in New York. The speech appeared to
mark his transition from the insecure, focus-group junkie of Labour¹s first
term to a visionary and a statesman, determined to change the world. The
most memorable passage was his declaration on Africa. ³The state of Africa,²
he told us, ³is a scar on the conscience of the world. But if the world as a
community focused on it, we could heal it. And if we don¹t, it will become
deeper and angrier.² This being so, I would respectfully ask our visionary
prime minister to explain what the hell he thinks he is doing in France
Read GEORGE MONBIOT at http://www.coldtype.net/London.html

MEDIABEAT / Norman Solomon
Spam - just another brick in the wall . . .
By now, millions of Americans are sick and tired of the spam that¹s flooding
their in-boxes with unwanted e-mail messages ­ mostly offering products,
services and scams that tell of big bargains, implausible windfalls, garish
porno and dumb scenarios for bodily enhancements. In 2003, we¹re routinely
slogging through large amounts of junk e-mail. These are aggressive
advertisements that won¹t quit. They¹re doing a lot to pollute the Internet
environment.
Read NORMAN SOLOMON at http://www.coldtype.net/mediabeat.html

BROADSIDES / Antonia Zerbisias
War in Iraq has sequel potential
The May ratings sweeps are over, summer is almost here and more than half
the programming on network TV is a rerun. Because reruns don¹t pull in the
eyeballs they used to, last week the U.S. networks announced some 20 new
reality series. As previous summer hits, from Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
to American Idol, taught the network lemmings, it¹s an excellent season for
fake truth.
Read ANTONIA ZERBISIAS at http://www.coldtype.net/broad.html

MEDIA DIARY / Danny Schechter
UPDATED EVERY WEEKDAY- Don't miss Danny Schecter's daily media weblog report
­ five pages of blistering criticism of news and politics.
Read DANNY SCHECHTER at http://www.coldtype.net/danny.html

PLUS: BOOKS, MAGAZINES, NEWSPAPERS, ESSAYS, PHOTO-JOURNALISM & MORE - ALL IN
PDF FORMAT - ALL FREE!

NOTE: IF YOU'D LIKE TO BE INCLUDED IN  - or removed from - OUR MAIL UPDATES,
PLEASE CONTACT: editor at coldtype.net