[Media-watch] Re: Media-watch Digest, Vol 5, Issue 7

Tony Sutton tonysutton at newsdesign.net
Sun Jul 20 17:15:25 BST 2003

SUMMER AT COLDTYPE

We're in Summer Slowdown mode at coldtype.net, but still posting a wealth of
new stuff each week from our regular columnists. This week's gems include:

* John Pilger, on how the lies of Britain's PM Tony Blair and his chums are
still lying to parliament about the sale of arms to countries who really
ought not to have them . . .

* George Monbiot, in a new role of Bilious Old Git, takes a jaundiced look
at students at Oxford University' especially the 'social lepers destined to
become our lords and masters' at the Oxford Union . . .

* Antonia Zerbisias looks at the hounding of ABC News anchor Peter Jennings,
because he is/was Canadian; and how the country's media seems to have almost
totally ignored an 800-page report on . . . the Canadian media . . . . and,
in her third new column of the week, she criticises the Canadian government
for its slow and muted reaction to the death of freelance photojournalist
Zahra Kazemi, who acquired a broken skull after her arrest on June 23 by
secret police in Iran . . . .

* Norman Solomon wonders how long America can continue to tolerate the
funding of its political leaders . . . . and, in a second column, remembers
how the media attacked a congressman who dared to suggest, eight months ago,
that George Bush would try to deceive the public about Iraq. When, he asks,
will these pundits apologise to the congressman . . . .?
Click here to go to the NORMAN SOLOMON download page

* Michael I. Niman, in case you're wondering, is spending his summer in
Belize, doing his anthropological studies. Lucky man . . .

Finally, we're pleased to announce that Danny Schechter's book, Embedded:
Weapons of Mass Deception (you can download a sample chapter at
coldtype.net) is about to be published in hardback. More information shortly
. . .

COMING SOON ­ MORE BOOKS, ESSAYS & GREAT PHOTOJOURNALISM

Download all these articles, al in pdf format, and much more at
http://www.coldtype.net