[Media-watch] Fairytales + definitions of delusion

Sigi D sigi_here at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 10:22:58 BST 2003

 --- YvonneMarshall
<Brotherhoods at stevenston4.fsnet.co.uk> wrote: >
Blair's breathtaking obstinacy to acknowledge that
> he might've been wrong - even just a wee toty bit
> wrong - about WMDs has become farcical, and begs a
> question which has not been raised by anyone in
> mainstream media - was the Blair govt subject to
> some form of blackmail by the US and/or the
> intelligence services of other countries who stood
> to benefit from Iraq's invasion ?
>
> Ian Brotherhood

Thinking creatively about Ian's question

(1) the first thing I thought of was a fairy tale -
The Emperors New Clothes
Read it and think about politics while you do.
Think about the group of people around a person in
power.
Nice exercise.
(2) the second thing I did was to look at definitions.
Enclosed are two very brief definitions of "delusion"
(false believe based upon misinterpretation of
reality).
Read them and think about politics and the person in
power.
Scary exercise.
Enjoy!!
Best,Sigi
FROM:
AN ANALYTICAL VIEW OF DELUSION, BY PAUL FRANCESCHI,
UNI OF CORSICA

"In psychiatry, delusions are classically defined as
abnormal beliefs which satisfy the following criteria:
(i) they are  held with absolute conviction;
(ii) they are experienced as self-evident truths,
usually of great importance; (iii) they are
not amenable to reason, or modifiable by experience;
(iv) their content is often fantastic or at best
inherently unlikely;
(v) the beliefs are not shared by those of a common
social or cultural background'.
One traditionally distinguishes in  psychoses between
several types of delusions, among which: delusion of
reference, delusion of influence, delusion of
control, telepathy-like delusion, delusion of
grandeur, delusion of persecution"

FROM: PSYCHOSIS: LOSING TOUCH WITH REALITY

"delusion:  idiosyncratic belief that is out of touch
with reality, resistant to logic and evidence that
would contradict the delusion; not part of a cultural
belief system.
(...)
grandiose - drastically exaggerated sense of
self-importance; may have religious, somatic, or other
theme; also known as delusions of grandeur.  The
grandiose individual might believe there is something
incredibly important about him/herself (e.g., only his
or her fingernail clippings can repel the Martian
invasion) or that he or she is someone very important
(e.g., the secret heir to the throne of England; the
President's long lost sister; or a religious figure
like Christ or Buddha). "

The links to the articles:
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:p1VeDBYTeqIJ:cogprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/archive/00002312/00/An_Analytic_View_of_Delusion.pdf+Definition+of+delusion+of+grandeur+psychology&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://www.hsu.edu/faculty/langlet/lectures/Abnormal/psychosis.html