[Media-watch] 'War', demos, what next ? a whip-round.

Chris Haydon c.haydon at can-online.org.uk
Mon Jul 7 14:54:09 BST 2003

Hallo Media-Watchers,

I am leading a project in Southwark which aims
to make media makers out of the Ordinary Citizen.
Seems to me that should help break the hold that
mainstream has over the mass(es). Will take a
while but the prospects in five years are encouraging.
When I think back to starting my career at LWT in
mid-1970s. Closed shop duopoly controlled on the
inside by ACTT. When I applied to join the union
in autumn 1974, the first thing that happened was
they blacked me ! Didn't know who I was, therefore
I was illegal ... bla bla bla. Technology has given
media tools to the Ordinary Citizen, if they don't
own it they can access it. Before the internet is
regulated into asphyxiation (we pray not for some
while), let the people speak.

There appears to be a latent mass of frustration
across the British people over the way Government
handles itself, handles the media, us, its love affair
with hegemony Dubya-style, and so on.

Thing is - what next ? And will people vote ? And
for whom ? And will they speak up in numbers ?
If IDS isn't it, is Charles Kennedy PM-able ?

Isn't that more worrying than knowing to what
degree information is manipulated ... that there may
be no alternative ? Or does Robin Cook lead a charge
from the left resurrecting Old Labour ?

Time for a Knight in shining armour. Preferably
before the other four horsemen get here ... If we all
had a whip-round, what type of democracy would
we go out and buy ?

Chris Haydon
Director
Community TV Trust