[Media-watch] Breaking News - Information Clearing House

YvonneMarshall Brotherhoods at stevenston4.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 22:19:26 BST 2003

Dear List-members,

Media-watch has been quiet again of late. Is that a good sign ? Does it mean the 'war' is over ? I thought long and hard (for, ooooh, a full three minutes) before deciding to submit the link below - curious to hear what thoughts any of you may have on what the writer has to say, and how it relates to UK media coverage of the situation. The BBC may well have done a splendid documentary highlighting Israel's WMD capacity, but wasn't screaming about them from it's globally scattered rooftops in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq. Cynical ? Well, if we all claimed a quid for each time we've heard Israel and WMD mentioned in the same breath in the past ten years on the Beeb, well, maybe we'd raise enough for a 14-inch pepperoni and a few cans. Maybe.

On an entirely different subject, also curious to know whether any of you are familiar with the so-called 'D-Notice' arrangement whereby the UK Govt can effectively smother mass-media attention on any given topic - is it a 'real' thing or did I just imagine it ? (Like that hallucinogenic trip I experienced a few months back when I could've sworn blind I was at a rally in Glasgow, at the Armadillo it was - I'm not joshing ! - where the biggest demo Glasgow had ever seen told Blair where to put his 'war'. The memory sure does play some fearsome tricks...must've been the last time I stayed off the wagon more than four days running.)

This D-notice thing : I'm not sure whether or not media-watch is regarded by the powers-that-be as an internet 'newspaper' or journal, whatever,  so I won't refer to the particular case I'm thinking of (in case 'they' come to the house five minutes after me sending this and haul me off by the jarlers to the nearest clink)  but any of you familiar with the shady story of the 100-year moratorium on public release of the papers relating to the Dunblane massacre (and the relevant investigative work by Neil McKay) will know what I'm gibbering about. Seriously though,  looking for any feedback you may have.

One final cry from the wilderness - would any list-member who can comment with confidence regarding speech-patterns and/or body language please enlighten the rest of us as to why Alistair Campbell and Tony Blair are so disturbingly similar in their verbal/physical mannerisms ? Campbell does Blair better than Rory Bremner (or should that be, Blair does Campbell better than Bremner ?) - which of them has been gradually aping the other over the past decade or so, and what should that tell us ?

I'm sure you'll agree that that's enough for now.
Best regards to all,
Ian Brotherhood

Thought you might find this interesting - http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3940.htm