[Media-watch] hello

David Miller david.miller at STIR.AC.UK
Thu Jan 23 16:13:35 GMT 2003

Chris,

Can you look up as much as you can on the mugdock story in the press
(starting with the Scottish press), but also looking at the London papers.

Depending how big a job this is, you might need access to Lexis-nexis, but I
would advise starting with the papers websites.  I use google
(www.google.com) for stuff like this, but you may have your own search
engine preferences.  The webistes of the scottish press should be fairly
easy to find.  Mind you, the Scottish supplements of some papers (eg the
Sunday Times) are often not availalbe online , so it is worth saving these
in hard copy if possible. Search under the name 'mugdock' first and try and
note down the dates it appears.

The next step is to read the copy carefully noting the sources quoted as
authority for the story (rather than those just reacting to it).  We are
looking for the exact form of words used by the paper and to compare these
across the press.  We could also do with tracing down the letter from Alan
Alexander of Scottish Water (both finding where it appeared in the press and
if there is anything on the Scottish Water website).  Also a selection of
examples of inflammatory reporting would be useful, particularly any links
suggested with Al-Qaeda and/or Iraq.

Let us know what you find.

Best

David