[Media-watch] FW: [GSAW] News at Ten

david Miller david.miller at stir.ac.uk
Fri Feb 28 11:57:17 GMT 2003

great stuff

----------
From: "George Blazyca" <george at blazyca.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:11:24 -0000
To: <GSAW at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [GSAW] News at Ten

Dear Friends,

I don't if anyone else saw the end of last night's, News at Ten, but, for your interest, here is my reaction to it:

Best,

George Blazyca

John Pullman
Editor
News at Ten

Dear Mr Pullman,

I write to express my dismay in the way your programme (last evening's News at Ten), in Trevor McDonald's concluding remarks, glibly made an almost subliminal association between Saddam Hussein and the terrorist attacks in New York on September 11th.

I am sure you are interested in maintaining the highest standards of accuracy in generating information but to permit a conclusion which went:

'Finally, as the world decides what to do about Saddam Hussein, the city, New York, where it all started on September 11th is facing an important decision ...'

with its clear underlying suggestion that Saddam was responsible for those attacks, does nothing to help clear the fog of propaganda and misinformation, much of it government sponsored, that exists at a moment of grave importance for us and the international community. At this time we need, more then ever, honest reporting and debate founded on strong facts. News at Ten should play a responsible role here and I hope, for all our sakes, that it will return quickly to higher journalistic standards.

If you want to say 'Saddam is evil' most of us will applaud. If you try to tell us that he was in some way responsible for September 11th you will excuse us if we shake our heads in doubt and disagreement.

Yours sincerely,

George Blazyca

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT