[Media-watch] FW: [media-culture] AIDC Doco Makers oppose a war on Iraq

david Miller david.miller at stir.ac.uk
Sun Feb 23 11:12:43 GMT 2003

for info
----------
From: "Susan Metcalfe" <SusanMetcalfe at bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:54:32 +1100
To: <media-culture at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [media-culture] AIDC Doco Makers oppose a war on Iraq

The following is the text from a press release sent out after last week's
AIDC conference in Byron Bay.

AIDC Doco Makers oppose a war on Iraq

In the final sessions of the 8th Australian International Documentary
Conference held this week in Byron Bay documentary makers from Australia and
around the world expressed their passionate opposition to a war on Iraq and
challenged the mainstream media to oppose the distortion and manipulation of
one of the first casualties of war - TRUTH

Two resolutions were passed:

Resolution 1

The Documentary Filmmakers at the Australian International Documentary
Conference 2003 oppose a war on Iraq.

Resolution 2

The Australian and international delegation insists that broadcasters look
to independent sources to reflect the diversity of opinion.

We call on the media to always acknowledge when material comes from a pool
source and when it is not genuinely and independently sourced.

We challenge the international media to hold the freedom of information as
their greatest responsibility in the lead up to and in coverage of any
possible conflict.

We as documentary makers ask the broadcasters to take responsibility for the
role they play to create a peaceful and sustainable future.

In the sessions were the principal guests of the Conference, Wim Wenders,
Tim Page, Donata Wenders, Peter Wintonick, Molly Dineen and Daniel Cross,
some of the most high profile documentary makers in the world. They say:

This war would be unprecedented and at the origin of many wars to come. It
MUST not happen. Wim Wenders (GERMANY/USA) Feature Film and Documentary
Maker (Buena Vista Social Club)

As the filmmaker hired by Tony Blair to propagate his image prior to his
election I feel betrayed and deeply saddened by his total lack of interest
in the majority of public opinion. Molly Dinnen (UK) Independent Documentary
Maker (Tony Blair - A 10 minute portrait and The Lord¹s Prayer)

It is time to hold the media and programmers accountable for the stories
they report. In the age of terrorism alerts and reality TV shows such as
"Are you hot?", we need to provide viewers with the truth. The media is
responsible.Tim Page (AUS) Vietnam and Cambodian War Photographer and
Documentarian

The enemy is in the heads of people. It is produced by being scared of
difference. We should be embracing the differences rather than fearing them.
Then there could not be a war. It has to do with love in the end. What about
loving your enemy?Donata Wenders (GERMANY/USA) internationally acclaimed
stills  photographer

I found that the documentary makers at the AIDC are dedicated to humanity,
compassion and global understanding. They, like me, are against the war and
challenge our working colleagues in the media to stop the campaigns of fear
and start to promote peace. Daniel Cross (CAN) Independent documentary maker
(S.P.I.T. and The Street)

Wim Wenders and the company Reverse Angle are taking a lead in the effort to
tell alternative stories of Peace. Wim and invited filmmakers, actors and
musicians from across the world are currently producing a compilation film
titled An Epic In Praise Of Peace.