[Media-watch] Files 'R' Us

Billy Clark billy.clark at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 24 13:56:14 BST 2003

There are some interesting anomalies concerning Mr. Galloway's recent
misfortune.  A while ago I passed on a report about the Russians spying
for Saddam based on some documents found in the Iraqi secret service HQ,
and I suggested we might see a bit more of this debris inconveniencing a
few people but nothing compromising the US or the UK's political
business.

Why wasn't this HQ cordoned off by the military?  Why is it open to
looters from the Telegraph?  Are they all fluent in the Iraqi
languages?  Surely the equivalent of CIA HQ at Langley would be of
interest in the great hunt for the track record of the axis of evil,
Saddam & Co.'s hidden Billions and WMD (a rhetorical phrase applied
exclusively to Iraq, although I never seen one unit of soldiers go into
action in any state of preparedness for chemical/biological weapons).
Seemingly not, instead it has been re-opened as 'Files 'R' Us'.  But not
to everyone.

Co-incidently Private Eye (that great recepticle for unattributed
rumour) ran a little story about a business associate of Galloway (whom
I can't stand myself).  It suggested George was on the take from the
Butcher of Bagdad: well, which of our top (particularly US) politician's
haven't been at some point?  And what nonsense to say these documents
were forged - when has this war ever been subject fabrication or
deception?

If it is a smear - why has it exclusively tainted the anti-war
coalition?  Galloway is a Labour party MP: and, just as Hamilton's,
Archer's, Aitken's etc. misdeeds are argued (by Labour) to have tainted
the Tories, this alleged misconduct taints the Labour party - or so it
could be easily argued, particularly by the Tories.  Instead Galloway's
sins have been passed onto that dangerous rabble of communist anarchist
protest threatening national security.  Each and every man, woman and
child are clearly on the payroll of the world's most evil dictator by
dint of the fact that they look to George for leadership - even the
Anarchists for some as yet unexplained reason.

And these allegations (well condemnations really) have come at a bad
time what with this election in Scotland - the smell/coverage will last
long enough to put off the second vote going to (any) left-wing
parties.  This also seems a very localised story, there's no real talk
in the US or anywhere else of tracking down people who have dealt with
Saddam, probably because we'd have to start with Mr Rumsfeld.  If George
has committed a crime why are the Police uninterested?  Lazy bastards!

And why this contrived mechanism to deliver bribes - why not just hand
the hand the cash over via Switzerland, the Vatican bank and the well
trodden path of Anstalts and numbered accounts.  Is it impossible that
of all Galloway's Iraqi business connections one of them would drop him
in it for a few favours in these troubled times.  Tony Blair said the
war wasn't about oil - obviously both the UK and US knew that George had
cornered the market on this and they were out of the game.

In one sense old cold war lefties like Galloway, Benn and Tariq Ali
tended to be soft on Saddam - so he has got off rather lightly: look
what happened to Scott Ritter.

billy clark (signature illegible)