[Media-watch] New at ColdType

Tony Sutton tonysutton at newsdesign.net
Tue Apr 22 16:09:08 BST 2003

NEW AT COLDTYPE.NET - April 22

GETTING A GRIP / Michael I. Niman

WHILE WE WERE DISTRACTED
The Bush team has been at least as busy on the domestic front as they¹ve
been in Iraq, but the horrors of a bunch of frat boys threatening to hijack
the US military on a joyride across the Middle East has been rather
distracting ­ and rightfully so. It has also all but monopolized the
domestic press corps in a way that is usually reserved for a presidential
blowjob or a celebrity murder trial.

Read Michael I. Niman at http://www.coldtype.net/Grip.html

WORDS AGAINST WAR / John Pilger

The unthinkable is becoming the normal
Last Sunday, seated in the audience at the Bafta television awards ceremony,
I was struck by the silence. Here were many of the most influential members
of the liberal elite, the writers, producers, dramatists, journalists and
managers of our main source of information, television; and not one broke
the silence. It was as though we were disconnected from the world outside: a
world of rampant, rapacious power and great crimes committed in our name by
our government and its foreign master. Iraq is the ³test case², says the
Bush regime, which every day sails closer to Mussolini¹s definition of
fascism: the merger of a militarist state with corporate power. Iraq is a
test case for western liberals, too. As the suffering mounts in that
stricken country, with Red Cross doctors describing ³incredible¹¹ levels of
civilian casualties, the choice of the next conquest, Syria or Iran, is
³debated¹¹ on the BBC, as if it were a World Cup venue.

Read John Pilger at http://www.coldtype.net/pilger.html

LONDON CALLING / George Monbiot

THE BOTTOM DOLLAR
The problem with American power is not that it¹s American. Most states with
the resources and opportunities the US possesses would have done far worse.
The problem is that one nation, effectively unchecked by any other, can, if
it chooses, now determine how the rest of the world will live. Eventually,
unless we stop it, it will use this power. So far, it has merely tested its
new muscles.

Read George Monbiot's weekly column from London's Guardian at
http://www.coldtype.net/London.html

DEADLINE BAGHDAD / Robert Fisk

Not liberation, but a new colonial oppression
It¹s going wrong, faster than anyone could have imagined. The army of
³liberation² has already turned into the army of occupation. The Shias are
threatening to fight the Americans, to create their own war of ³liberation².
At night on every one of the Shia Muslim barricades in Sadr City, there are
14 men with automatic rifles. Even the US Marines in Baghdad are talking of
the insults being flung at them. ³Go away! Get out of my face!² an American
soldier screamed at an Iraqi trying to push towards the wire surrounding an
infantry unit in the capital yesterday. I watched the man¹s face suffuse
with rage. ³God is Great! God is Great!² the Iraqi retorted.

Read Robert Fisk's final reports from Baghdad for London's Independent at
http://www.coldtype.net/baghdad.html

CRITICAL MASS
Read Antonia Zerbisias's reports at http://www.coldtype.net/azerb.html

MEDIABEAT
Read Norman Solomon at http://www.coldtype.net/mediabeat.html

Plus:

E-BOOKS / PHOTO-ESSAYS / COLDTYPE & NINE ON TEN MAGAZINES / AND MUCH MORE
ALL PDF DOWNLOADS - ALL FREE  all at: http://www.coldtype.net

NOTE:

IF YOU'D LIKE TO BE REMOVED FROM FUTURE MAILINGS, PLEASE CONTACT:
editor at coldtype.net