[Media-watch]

james doleman jamesdoleman at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 11:55:22 BST 2003

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com

Is a slightly better site (IMHO) than that one, you still have to be careful
of the US right's sometimes anti-semitic agenda though

From: "YvonneMarshall" <Brotherhoods at stevenston4.fsnet.co.uk>
To: <media-watch at lists.stir.ac.uk>
Subject: [Media-watch]
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 03:02:56 +0100

Dear List-members,

Another quiet night on Media-Watch. Perhaps folk are just now so war-weary
and scunnered that they can't see the point any more, or maybe the sheer
weight and relentlessness of the propaganda makes it almost impossible to
highlight which nuggets of twisted filth to bring to the attention of
others.

It might provide some 'relief' to get away from the here and now, to examine
one of the main reasons used to justify the destruction of the civilisation
in which literacy itself was developed.

The Sep 11th attacks remain the fundamental 'justification' for the US's
current behaviour.  There remain hundreds - literally hundreds - of
unanswered questions regarding what happened on that day. There still has
been no official inquiry or report into what happened.

The tacit, media-peddled  'official' version of what happened (although it
has never been formally published, collated, researched, authored etc etc)
is flatly impossible for any sane person to believe, and yet, in this
country - the UK - with its fine reputation for investigative reporting,
documentary-making etc, not one mainstream broadcaster - not a single one -
has dared to raise any of the glaring errors, mistruths and outright lies
which masquerade unchallenged as 'the truth' of what happened on that
terrible day.

For many, the very notion that Sep 11th was anything but a spectacular and
audacious attack on the US and Capitalism by Big-Beard Bin Laden is simply
not credible. Yes, it was Al-Qaeda, Bin-Laden. (Bin-Laden said on Sep 12th
that he was right into it, thought it was great, but had nothing to do with
it. Maybe his PR boys had a wee word and told him to shut-it.) Then, of
course, we have to take into account that the majority of the US public
believe that Iraq was behind the attacks. An alarmingly high percentage of
Americans also believe (and this is according to the pollsters) that Saddam
Hussein and Osama bin Laden ARE THE SAME PERSON !! It might be instructive
to see figures by these pollsters regarding what percentage of the US public
actually believe the cobblers published by the pollsters, but such data is
not easily available.

Polls aside - to deny the 'official' version of events on Sep 11th is to
open a Pandora's Box which exposes our own innocence and naivete as much as
it exposes the sheer evil behind the attacks.  Were the moon-landings faked
? That question guarantees the speaker a black-eye in many bars all over the
world, not only in the US, and we are fast approaching the point where
similar queries regarding the events of Sep 11th 2001 will draw similarly
violent denial - and this is before the question has even been addressed or
any evidence has been surveyed. As the asking of certain questions becomes
forbidden, albeit voluntarily,  so self-censorship and denial becomes
endemic, irreversible. Then, inevitably, there is no such thing as 'truth'
because facts (dem pesky thangs) just don't matter any more. Crucial, right
now, is to ask those hard questions, and wonder whether or not they could be
raised in 'decent' company, and if not, why not ? (Germans, in 1936, 37 etc,
being entertained by close Jewish friends and associates must've, at some
point, asked the same questions of themselves, pondered the same awkwardness
as things got worse. Maybe most of them never said anything, would've denied
even asking themselves the questions at all ?)

So, if you're still bearing with me, my point is this - media-watch, and
many other on-line projects, were set-up to address what we all knew would
be the inevitable tide of propaganda. Now, we're up to our necks in  it, but
unlike a normal 'tide', it is not going to recede. The 'war', as Robert
Fisk's latest reports from Iraq suggest, is really just beginning. None of
us knows where it will end. But we can do our best to find out why it
started, what sparked it, where and when the Neo-cons and their pliant
mass-media buddies knew that the time was right to forge ahead with 'the
project'.

Maybe history is now moving so fast that none of us can reasonably expect to
learn from it, but we can certainly use what is within our collective
memory, backed up by the efforts of many independent writers, researchers
and journalists worldwide who continue to do their thankless work despite
being constantly pilloried as cranks, conspiracy-theorists etc etc.

If you, or anyone close to you, really believes the 'official' explanation
of the Sep 11th attacks, please go to propagandamatrix.com. (I've no
connection with the site at all, and there are many others featuring similar
material, but it's one of the most comprehensive I've seen.) You'll find a
short list of links on the left-hand side of the page, one of which is
'September 11th'. If you do decide to click on it, be prepared - there are
maybe 600 or so links to features by writers all over the world written in
the past 18-months or so, and each and every one of them - even from the
titles alone - raises deeply troubling questions about what happened on that
day. Taken together, they constitute a compelling case for the immediate
impeachment of G W Bush and his wee pal Tony.  (Don't try to read every
feature from the top-down - best to scan right down to see the various
headings - it really is a huge site)

Thank you for reading this far.

At the time of writing,  the US  and UK troops have encouraged the looting
of Baghdad and all other significant Iraqi cities, overseen the destruction
of ancient artefacts, priceless irreplacable copies of the Koran, civil
infrasturcture of all forms, and continue to suppress the innocent civilian
population while they 'busy' themselves guarding oil-wells and the Oil
Ministry. Disease festers in corpses on the streets and babies die for want
of water. It's happening right now, and will be for months if not years. We
are citizens of the 'democratic' country which helped make it happen and
continues to justify it. In the eyes of the whole world, and  - if we're
brave enough to admit it - in our own country,  we are all guilty, each and
every one of us. Okay, maybe we couldn't and can't stop it, but surely the
very least we can do now is make an effort to educate ourselves, try to find
out why it's happening.

People all over the planet are asking 'why ?'.  We can find out if we look
at the time-lines, the major players, the evidence that is there at the
click of a mouse. It's there, but you have to look for it. List-members will
be aware of this, but so many many people are not - the BBC, ITN, AP,
Reuters or any other media-outfit, mainstream or otherwise, do not have any
monopoly on 'truth'. They re-present various truths in the form which best
suits their purposes at the time. Who decides what their purposes might be
is not for us 'mere mortals' to know. But we can take the whole, examine it,
swap notes, and reach reasoned, logical  conclusions. I hope that's what the
List is about. (Does it close tomorrow if Tony says 'officially' that the
war is over ?)

Please do check the propagandamatrix.com site. If you read even a fraction
of what is there and measure it against the coverage you have seen on
'normal', 'mainstream' media over the past 18 months, it should very quickly
become clear that the 'War on Terrorism', the 'War on Iraq'  - and
'The-War-Against-God-Only-Knows-Who's-Next'  - was only 'justifiable' if
popular US rage and revenge was keen enough. Sep 11th was the 'new Pearl
Harbor' the Neo-cons and the Project for the New American Century yearned
for. How convenient it happened so soon after Dubya was installed !!

Read it and weep. Then tell your pals, argue about it in the kitchen with
your folks. They won't like it. No-one does. But hey, when it comes right
down to it, they can't shoot the messenger.

Can they ?

Best regards to all,

Ian Brotherhood