[Media-watch]

YvonneMarshall Brotherhoods at stevenston4.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 01:07:28 BST 2003

Dear List-members,

This is just a swift note to say that I've had no messages tonight from media-watch, and, presumably, you haven't had any either.

If there's any value whatever in the list, it's in the knowledge that other folk, wherever they might be, are are scared and appalled by what's going on as you are. It might not always be possible to express that horror by citing 'journalistic', 'accredited' sources, and given what's happened today, many might feel that dissent of any kind is now dangerous - even when journalists are murdered (as the Pentagon had promised they would be) the Beeb refuses to acknowledge the nature of the assault on their own employees and their colleagues. What chance have we ?

I'm writing this short message because I'm half-pished and don't want to watch any more News 24, listen to any more Five-Live, waiting for 'evidence' of the obvious media-bias we get hammered into us day after day. Anyone interested enough in what's going on right now to even get involved with this list must know that we're on the sticky end of a huge disinformation exercise and that we're all, as a result, nailing our colours to a mast which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with truth/justice and similarly nebulous concepts.

Yes, let's stay aware and watch out for 'obvious' lies and disinformation. Yes, let's scroll back through data-bases to find cast-iorn evidence that so-and-so was lying. Yes, let's point towards some vague explanation of what might possibly underpin this whole horror...

But please, please, let's all of us be aware that, at some point - and it will differ for everyone - sitting on your arse watching it all happen is simply not enough. And when enough folk realise that and start to act upon it, that's when the list really will become interesting.

Respectfully,

Ian Brotherhood