[Media-watch] Questions related to Fisk article / BBC / war slogans

Darren Smith djs1 at stir.ac.uk
Mon Apr 7 08:41:52 BST 2003

Dear Mr. Sambrook,

Writing in today's (7 April) Independent, Robert Fisk notes "it's now
BBC 'style' to describe the Anglo-American invaders as the 'coalition'.
This is a lie." He also observes, "there's the famous 'war in Iraq'
slogan which the British and American media like to promote. But this
is an invasion, not a mere war."

I'd like you to answer the question which Fisk asks, "who at the BBC
decreed this dishonest word 'coalition'?" Also I would like you to
answer who at the BBC decreed to use the dishonest slogan 'war in Iraq'
rather than the accurate term 'invasion'? As well as the 'who' I'd also
like to know the 'why?'

The "impartial coverage" the BBC Agreement would demand is not served
if the preferred, disingenuous phrases of UK/US government are adopted
verbatim by the BBC. Why does the BBC - using Fisk's words - "aid and
abet the lies and propaganda of this filthy war?"

Regards,

Darren Smith