[Media-watch] Good Morning Scotland and Jo Wilding

Stephen McKee stephen_mckee at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 09:14:59 BST 2003

Did anyone hear the GMS interview with Jo Wilding?  (You can hear it again
by going to the site and clicking listen again.  The interview is at about
7.45).

I sent the following via the form-mail at the BBC Scotland website:

To: http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/

Mhairi Stuart’s interview with Jo Wilding before 8 this morning was
unedifying to say the least.  For the majority of the interview, Ms Stuart
repeated, in increasingly irritated tones, an obscure point about Ms
Wilding’s non-affiliated status.  It seems that Mhairi Stuart thought that
only someone who was a member of an organisation such as Amnesty could be a
credible witness.  I am surely not the only Amnesty activist to be deeply
puzzled by this notion.

To say an account can only be authoritative if it has been commissioned by
an international organisation is a strange interpretation of the notion of
credibility; it is a view that seems to say that only bureaucracy bestows
validity.  I, for one, would find something approaching the opposite view
rather more persuasive.

But Ms Stuart pressed and pressed Ms Wilding on this, to the detriment of
what could have been an interesting interview, and in the process you cut
across Ms Wilding’s attempted condemnation of Saddam, only to later ask her
if she would be conducting a similar exercise to look at Saddam’s behaviour.
  This is a fallacy that is repeated time and time again: the implication
that those who question the conduct or motives of the  “Coalition” are
somehow “pro-Saddam”.  The case against Saddam has been put.  It is
generally accepted that he is a brutal dictator.  But that does not mean
that those of us who live in Western democracies should therefore let those
Western democracies off the hook.  And it certainly does not mean that any
humanitarian disaster that may result from the pursuance of Saddam should be
overlooked.  However they may come about.

As Ms Wilding herself said, she was presenting her account for us to weigh
up for ourselves.  I would have liked to be given the opportunity to do so,
rather than be treated to the spectacle of Mhairi Stuart labouring an
obscure and irrelevant point.