[Graduate-research-list] Stirling Graduate Research School

Wilma Ellis wilma.ellis at stir.ac.uk
Mon Jan 10 15:26:42 GMT 2005

The SGRS Steering Group have asked me to canvas the postgraduate student
population for suggestions of ways in which SGRS could provide an
enhanced service to Postgraduate Research Students at the University of
Stirling.  These suggestions would have to be within the remit of SGRS,
which I have copied below, but your ideas would be warmly welcomed.
Please do not reply to this email, but contact me direct on:

wilma.ellis at stir.ac.uk

Remit of SGRS

The Stirling Graduate Research School was established in 1995 as an
integral part of the University of Stirling's research strategy.  That
strategy is designed to help the University become one of the top
teaching and research institutions in the UK.  The development of a
coherent and well formulated policy for graduate research forms a key
element within the strategy.

The objectives of the SGRS are:

1.         To strengthen, support and provide focus for the postgraduate
research community in the University, and enhance the provision for
social, cultural, and welfare support

2.         To foster academic contact between research postgraduate
students in the University, with other students and researchers, and
thereby enhance the research culture of the University

3.         To co-ordinate the provision of generic research training

4.         To disseminate models of good practice in discipline specific
research training

5.         To co-ordinate and stimulate other staff development
activities relevant to postgraduate research students and supervisors

6.         To facilitate the expansion of postgraduate research within
the University

Membership of the Steering Group comprises of Deputy Principal
(Research) (Chair), Vice Deans (Research), and four student
representatives from the student body.   Student representatives are
elected annually, and every effort is made to ensure representation from
each faculty.  This process is managed by the Research Services Officer.
The representatives work closely with the Director and the Research
Services Officer in planning SGRS activities to meet the needs of
research students.

Wilma Ellis

Research Services Officer

Planning and Research Office