[Face-research-list] ECVP 2024 - Associated Events and Social Activities

Manassi, Mauro mauro.manassi at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Mar 27 16:27:24 GMT 2024

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the Associated Events and Social Activities schedule for the European Conference on Visual Perception taking place in Aberdeen, Scotland (25th - 29th of August; https://ecvp2024.abdn.ac.uk/).

VSAC
From the 22nd of August until the 24th, we will be hosting the Visual Science of Art Conference (VSAC) at the Old Aberdeen university campus. More information is available at https://2024.vsac.eu/.

ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSIONS
First and foremost, ECVP is a vibrant scientific community. ECVP 2024 will introduce a series of roundtable discussions on some current important issues in vision and perception research. From the 26th of August until the 29th, on each day of the conference, we will have two parallel roundtable discussions:

1) Vision science and climate change
led by Prof Simon Rushton (Cardiff University)

2) Data collection on online platforms: Challenges and future developments?
led by Dr Clare Sutherland (University of Aberdeen)

3) Out of the lab and into the world: Interdisciplinary approaches in applied vision research
led by Prof Benjamin Wolfe and Prof Anna Kosovicheva (University of Toronto)

4) How can we make effective and responsible use of generative AI help to progress vision science research?
led by Dr Sophie Nightingale (University of Lancaster)

5) Pursuing an academic career: Perspectives and insights
led by Prof Ben Tatler (University of Aberdeen)

6) Pursuing a career in industry: Perspectives and insights
led by Prof Arash Sahraie (University of Aberdeen)

7) The future of perception science and philosophy in the age of transformer AIs: Phenomenology, epistemology, consciousness
led by Dr Dhanraj Vishwanath (University of St Andrews)

8) PhD pathways: Navigating challenges and embracing opportunities
led by Dr Ana Rozman (University of Sussex) and Prof Patric Bach (University of Aberdeen)

More information is available at https://ecvp2024.abdn.ac.uk/social-events/roundtables/

PERCEPTIO-NITE
Recent global challenges have made networking particularly difficult for students. Between the fallout from the pandemic, the cost-of-living crisis, and other ongoing events, students have fewer opportunities to build their networks, and make scientific connections. On Monday 26th, we would like to reignite our wonderful ECVP student community with a social event organised by students for students: a Perceptio-nite. More information is available at https://ecvp2024.abdn.ac.uk/social-events/perceptio-nite/

WHISKY TASTING
Whisky is a hallmark of Scotland’s national heritage and identity. On Monday 26th, you have the opportunity to sample some of Scotland's finest whiskies following the afternoon poster session (please purchase your tokens for this during registration). More information is available at https://ecvp2024.abdn.ac.uk/social-events/whisky-tasting/

ILLUSION NIGHT
On Tuesday 27th, the Illusion Night will take place at the Aberdeen Art Gallery in the city centre. This event will be open to all ECVP attendees as well as to the general public. Please note that we are not just looking for novel visual illusions nobody has seen before but would also encourage you to bring some old-time favourites that never fail to impress! More information on submitting contributions is available at https://ecvp2024.abdn.ac.uk/submission/illusion-night-contributions/

CONFERENCE DINNER
On Wednesday 28th, the Conference Dinner will be held at the Beach Ballroom on the sea front of Aberdeen. More information is available athttps://ecvp2024.abdn.ac.uk/social-events/conference-dinner/

FAREWELL PARTY
On Thursday 29th, the Farewell Party will be held at Union Kirk in Aberdeen city centre. Enjoy a real Scottish Ceilidh and dance the night away as we say goodbye to conference attendees. More information is available at https://ecvp2024.abdn.ac.uk/social-events/farewell-party/

Deadline for early-bird registration and abstract submission is April 5th (last time zone on earth).

We look forward to welcoming you in Aberdeen in August,

Mauro Manassi & Constanze Hesse

Mauro Manassi
Assistant Professor
School of Psychology
William Guild Building, Room F11
University of Aberdeen, UK
https://www.manassilab.com/

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.