[Face-research-list] Call For Chapters and dataset release! | Neural and Machine Learning for Emotion and Empathy Recognition: Experiences from the OMG-Challenges by Springer

Pablo Barros barros at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Feb 14 11:30:56 GMT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to contribute a chapter for the upcoming volume
entitled “Neural and Machine Learning for Emotion and Empathy Recognition:
Experiences from the OMG-Challenges” to be published by the Springer Series
on Competitions in Machine Learning. Our book will be available by the end
of 2019.

Website: https://easychair.org/cfp/OMGBook2019

Follows a short description of our volume:

Emotional expression perception and categorization are extremely popular in
the affective computing community. However, the inclusion of emotions in
the decision-making process of an agent is not considered in most of the
research in this field. To treat emotion expressions as the final goal,
although necessary, reduces the usability of such solutions in more complex
scenarios. To create a general affective model to be used as a modulator
for learning different cognitive tasks, such as modeling intrinsic
motivation, creativity, dialog processing, grounded learning, and
human-level communication, instantaneous emotion perception cannot be the
pivotal focus.

This book aims to present recent contributions for multimodal emotion
recognition and empathy prediction which take into consideration the
long-term development of affective concepts. On this regard, we provide
access to two datasets: the OMG-Emotion Behavior Recognition and
OMG-Empathy Prediction datasets. These datasets were designed, collected
and formalized to be used on the OMG-Emotion Recognition Challenge and the
OMG-Empathy Prediction challenge, respectively. All the participants of our
challenges are invited to submit their contribution to our book. We also
invite interested authors to use our datasets on the development of
inspiring and innovative research on affective computing. By formatting
these solutions and editing this book, we hope to inspire further research
in affective and cognitive computing over longer timescales.

TOPICS OF INTEREST

The topics of interest for this call for chapters include, but are not
limited to:
- New theories and findings on continuous emotion recognition
- Multi- and Cross-modal emotion perception and interpretation
- Novel neural network models for affective processing
- Lifelong affect analysis, perception, and interpretation
- New neuroscientific and psychological findings on continuous emotion
representation
- Embodied artificial agents for empathy and emotion appraisal
- Machine learning for affect-driven interventions
- Socially intelligent human-robot interaction
- Personalized systems for human affect recognition
- New theories and findings on empathy modeling
- Multimodal processing of empathetic and social signals
- Novel neural network models for empathy understanding
- Lifelong models for empathetic interactions
- Empathetic Human-Robot-Interaction Scenarios
- New neuroscientific and psychological findings on empathy representation
- Multi-agent communication for empathetic interactions
- Empathy as a decision-making modulator
- Personalized systems for empathy prediction

Each contributed chapter is expected to present a novel research study, a
comparative study, or a survey of the literature.
We also expect that each contributed chapter approach somehow at least one
of our datasets: the OMG-Emotion and the OMG-Empathy.

SUBMISSIONS

All submissions should be done via EasyChair:

  https://easychair.org/cfp/OMGBook2019

Original artwork and a signed copyright release form will be required for
all accepted chapters. For author instructions, please visit:

https://www.springer.com/us/authors-editors/book-authors-editors/resources-guidelines/book-manuscript-guidelines

We would also like to announce that our two datasets, related to emotion
expressions and empathy prediction, are now fully available. You can have
access to them and obtain more information by visiting their website:

- OMG-EMOTION -
https://www2.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/wtm/omgchallenges/omg_emotion.html
- OMG-EMPATHY -
https://www2.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/wtm/omgchallenges/omg_empathy.html

If you wand more information, please do not hesitate to contact me:
barros at informatik.uni-hamburg.de

IMPORTANT DATES:

- Submission of abstracts: 29th of March 2019
- Submissions of full-length chapters: 29th of March 2019
- Notification of final editorial decisions 31st of May 2019
- Submission of revised chapters: 08th of July, 2019

--

Dr. Pablo Barros
Postdoctoral Research Associate - Crossmodal Learning Project (CML)