[Face-research-list] Society for Affective Science conference - Abstract portal now open!

Rachael Jack Rachael.Jack at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Oct 15 21:39:25 BST 2018

Dear colleagues,

The Society for Affective Science is pleased to announce a Call for Abstracts for the SAS 2019 Conference at the Westin Boston Waterfront Hotel in Boston, MA, on March 21-23, 2019.

Abstract Submission Formats
In addition to invited sessions, we invite attendees to submit abstracts for posters and flash talk sessions. We welcome abstract submissions that describe new research within the domain of affective science. In line with our goal to facilitate interdisciplinary advances, we welcome submissions from affective scientists in any discipline (e.g., anthropology, business, computer science, cultural studies, economics, education, geography, history, integrative medicine, law, linguistics, literature, neuroscience, philosophy, political science, psychiatry, psychology, public health, sociology, theatre), working on a broad range of topics using a variety of measures. Authors at all career stages – trainees, junior faculty, and senior faculty – are encouraged to submit an abstract according to two presentation formats on any topic within the domain of affective science as follows:

1.  A poster
2.  A flash talk

Deadline for Receipt of Abstracts
Abstracts must be submitted by Friday, November 9, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. Baker Island Time (BIT; UTC-12) to be considered for inclusion in the program. Please review the abstract submission instructions carefully. Click here<https://t.e2ma.net/click/4fw8pd/824poyb/sqgu0q> to submit your abstract. All presenters must register and pay to attend the meeting. Notification of acceptance or rejection of abstracts will be emailed to the corresponding author by Friday, January 11, 2019.

Selection Process
All abstracts will be evaluated for scholarly merit by an interdisciplinary group of SAS Program Committee members using blind peer review. Abstracts are also selected at this time for Poster Spotlight presentations and consideration for poster and flash talk awards. Posters and flash talk award nominees will be evaluated during the conference by SAS faculty members. Reviewers do not review abstracts, posters, or flash talks on which they have a known conflict of interest. Awards will be announced at the conference during the closing ceremony.

Program Highlights
This year's invited program includes new and exciting interdisciplinary conversations in affective science. An opening session "Trajectories, Transitions, and Turning Points," features Phoebe Ellsworth, Valeria Gazzola, and Bob Levenson describing experiences, events, and findings that were key transitions points in their research programs and careers. The presidential symposium will be devoted to research on culture, ethnicity, and emotion. This year's program will also feature a symposium on emotion and health jointly sponsored by SAS and the American Psychosomatic Society called "The Vital Role of Affective Science in Medicine."

We will also continue to showcase other exciting formats, such as TED-style talks, salons, methods and speed networking events, flash talks, poster spotlights, and interactive poster sessions. Come see other invited speakers, including Marc Brackett, Cynthia Breazeal, Alan Fiske, Richard Lane, Jenn Lerner, Tali Sharot, and invited flash-talk speakers who will present groundbreaking research representing a wide range of affective science! There are also four exciting pre-conferences that will be held March 21.

Please see the conference website<https://t.e2ma.net/click/4fw8pd/824poyb/8ihu0q> for more information. You can register for SAS 2019 starting in November.

We're looking forward to seeing you in Boston for what promises to be another great SAS meeting!

Relevant Links
Check out our new look!<https://t.e2ma.net/click/4fw8pd/824poyb/obiu0q> We are extremely excited about the new Society website! It's been redesigned from the bottom up with clarity and effectiveness foremost in our minds. We hope affective scientists everywhere will find the site easy to navigate and use. Note that our members-only section will open soon.

www.facebook.com/affectScience<https://www.facebook.com/affectScience/>

twitter.com/affectScience<https://twitter.com/affectScience>

Dr. Rachael E. Jack, Ph.D.
Reader