[Face-research-list] Fw: Professional query!

Catriona.Havard catriona.havard at open.ac.uk
Mon Jun 5 15:00:23 BST 2017

Dear all

I hope you don't mind me forwarding this query from a friend of mine who is a Sleep Clinical Physiologist. If anyone can answers her query that would be great.

Do you know if there is a standard system which can be used to measure an individual’s facial profile, either manually or using software? Our medical photography team take photos annually of patients using non-invasive ventilation, who may experience facial changes related to mask use, and we want to find a way to quantify any changes over time. There are patients where we can subjectively see a change, but we’re looking to find a way to assess this objectively.

Looking in the literature, we can’t find anything for measuring points on the face - there are lots of papers measuring skull landmarks on cephalometric x-rays, but we’re looking for something we can do from photos to avoid irradiating patients if we can!

It sounds like the sort of thing that must already exist, but we can’t seem to find it. I wondered if there might be anything that you use in the facial recognition field that we might be able to apply?

Many thanks,


Dr Catriona Havard
Senior Lecturer in Psychology
The Open University
Walton Hall
Milton Keynes
Tel: 01908 654554

To see a selection of my papers click here

To find out about about our new module Counselling and Forensic Psychology: Investigating crime and therapy click here<http://dd310.madorbad.org/>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.stir.ac.uk/pipermail/face-research-list/attachments/20170605/633978e6/attachment.html>

More information about the Face-research-list mailing list