[Face-research-list] Research post in face recognition at Stirling

Peter Hancock p.j.b.hancock at stir.ac.uk
Thu Jan 21 13:58:40 GMT 2016

I have a vacancy for a postdoc at Stirling to work on human face recognition. It's part of a 5 year EPSRC-funded project to improve the state of the art in computer face recognition, so we shall be working closely with computer scientists at the University of Surrey and Imperial College. This post is for an initial two years, with the possibility of extension.

The research questions will include:

*         What are the effects of viewpoint, lighting and sensor noise on human familiar face recognition?

*         How much experience, what range of imagery, does it take to shift humans from unfamiliar face matching to familiar face recognition?

*         How useful to human observers are the image normalisation techniques developed for the computer recognition systems?

*         In general, therefore, how do human and computer abilities compare across the range of issues being tackled in this project?

*         How do humans achieve what they do?

Further details here:
http://www.stir.ac.uk/about/jobs/details/index.html?id=QUUFK026203F3VBQB7V79V7NE&nPostingID=1080&nPostingTargetID=1033&mask=extstirling&lg=UK
Closing date is 22 Feb. There will be a second post on offer later this year. I shall also shortly be advertising a PhD studentship, aimed at modelling human face recognition.

Feel free to contact me with queries.

Peter Hancock
Professor,
Deputy Head of Psychology,
School of Natural Sciences
University of Stirling
FK9 4LA, UK
phone 01786 467675
fax 01786 467641
http://www.psychology.stir.ac.uk/staff/staff-profiles/academic-staff/peter-hancock
Psychology at Stirling: 100% 4* Impact, REF2014