[BERG] Movie Animals Protected (MAP) position

Hannah Buchanan-Smith h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 14:03:47 BST 2022

In case of interest to someone....

Movie Animals Protected (MAP) is looking for part-time on-call representatives to oversee the humane treatment and safety of animals in film & television. We are looking for part-time on-call representatives in the London area (England), Budapest, France, Prague, Istanbul, and other European locations.

Additional information from Ken Gold, a colleague who asked me to advertise: These are most certainly paid positions, but part-time.  We will be advertising until the positions are filled.  Ideally we are looking for local people near where the filming occurs, but some travel expenses will be covered dependent upon the specific jobs.

Details of how to apply in attached document.

Hannah's view: Aside from educational documentaries, I personally do not approve of (most of) the use of animals in film and television, given the potential for widespread negative consequences, and potential for animal alternatives (CGI etc).

But given that it happens, overseeing animal treatment and diplomatically questioning their inclusion and the impact to the viewing public is a critical role.

e.g. see https://www.internationalprimatologicalsociety.org/policy-statements-and-guidelines/nonhuman-primates-in-media/

Hannah M. Buchanan-Smith

Professor, Behaviour and Evolution Research Group (BERG)

Psychology, Faculty of Natural Sciences
University of Stirling
Stirling, FK9 4LA
Scotland

E-mail: h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fh.m.buchanan-smith%40stir.ac.uk%2F&data=05%7C01%7Ch.m.buchanan-smith%40stir.ac.uk%7Cfb97b499cb0b4dbca02808da6bae7359%7C4e8d09f7cc794ccb9149a4238dd17422%7C0%7C0%7C637940695416826825%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=TZrCMc%2B1thKht04CvKblZb8kaR2e5bAIlduTf4cbyhg%3D&reserved=0>
Home page<https://www.stir.ac.uk/people/257464>
Marmoset care<http://marmosetcare.com/>
Animal Welfare 24/7 across the lifespan<https://animalconcepts.mykajabi.com/247approachtopromotingoptimalwelfareforcaptivewildanimals>
Welfare of dogs <https://nc3rs.org.uk/housing-and-husbandry-dogs>

Scotland's University for Sporting Excellence
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC 011159