[BERG] WAWC Conference - Wild Animal Welfare: Does it matter? Can it be assessed? How can it be optimised? 19 April 2021

Hannah Buchanan-Smith h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk
Sat Mar 6 18:42:39 GMT 2021

Yes, yet more exciting online meetings....free but a donation is requested. Monday 19 April 2021 from 08:45-17:00 hrs UK time.

________________________________

Wild Animal Welfare: Does it matter? Can it be assessed? How can it be optimised?

The third Wild Animal Welfare Committee (WAWC) conference takes place on Monday 19 April 2021 from 08:45-17:00 hrs UK time.

This online event will include sessions on:

  *
Safeguarding wild animal welfare using the Five Domains approach
  *
The contextual nature of how we value wild animals
  *
Evaluation of wild animal welfare
  *
Interactions between animal welfare, species conservation and management, and human issues

Confirmed speakers setting out to answer our three questions - Wild Animal Welfare: Does it matter? Can it be assessed? How can it be optimised? - include:

Ngaio Beausoleil, Massey University, New Zealand; Mark Jones, Born Free Foundation; Sarah Dolman, Whale and Dolphin Conservation/WAWC member; Mike Radford, University of Aberdeen; Heather Bacon, Jeanne Marchig International Centre for Animal Welfare Education (JMICAWE); Alick Simmons, former Deputy CVO (England)/WAWC member; Becca Franks, New York University; Cathy Dwyer, SRUC/JMICAWE; Sandra Baker, WildCru, University of Oxford/WAWC member; Justine Shotton, Marwell Zoo and BVA; Jessica Findlay, NatureScot; Chris Draper, Performing Animal Welfare Society /WAWC member; Steven McCulloch, Winchester University; Alastair McGugan, NatureScot.

The event will be chaired and moderated by members of the WAWC, a Scottish registered charity (SCO45958) that provides independent advice and evidence about the welfare of free-living wild animals in the UK, aiming to reduce harm to animals and prevent suffering caused by human activity. For this online event. we particularly look forward to hearing views from around the world ? making connections, contrasts and comparisons about how we interact with the sentient individuals who share our different environments.

Register @ https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8028284674528591630<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fattendee.gotowebinar.com%2Fregister%2F8028284674528591630&data=04%7C01%7Ch.m.buchanan-smith%40stir.ac.uk%7C4cc7f60cc037431faa0508d8dd8703fc%7C4e8d09f7cc794ccb9149a4238dd17422%7C0%7C0%7C637502919253079811%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&sdata=YuH6Lv%2FYPfhM30OzKoeZHPCBLYOS85khd3jeGvR0nqk%3D&reserved=0>

The WAWC suggests a contribution of ?25 to attend the conference. You can however attend free of charge, or make a smaller donation, by using one of the following discount codes when registering: FREE, Donate5, Donate10, Donate15, Donate20.

Find out more about the WAWC at www.wawcommittee.org

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

The University achieved an overall 5 stars in the QS World University Rankings 2020
UK Sports University of the Year 2020 (Times Higher Good University Guide)
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC 011159.