[BERG] Seminar tomorrow, 16:00

Pawel Fedurek pawel.fedurek at stir.ac.uk
Tue Apr 6 19:33:42 BST 2021

Dear BERGers,

I hope that you all had a nice Easter break. This is just a reminder that tomorrow (7 April, 16:00) Dr Maureen McCarthy (University of Southern California) will be giving a seminar for us about demographic and behavioural variation in chimpanzees of the Anthropocene (please find the abstract below this email). Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Best wishes,

Pawel and Sarah

Abstract:

Maureen S. McCarthy
University of Southern California, USA

Exploring Demographic and Behavioral Variation in Chimpanzees of the Anthropocene

Sixty years of chimpanzee field studies have revealed remarkable insights into their behavior, life history, and evolutionary kinship with humans. Nonetheless, most knowledge about the behavior of wild chimpanzees has come from a handful of long-term study sites. Recent research from these sites and others has shown greater behavioral flexibility and demographic variation in chimpanzees than was previously recognized. Simultaneously, this variation is being lost as chimpanzees are threatened increasingly with extinction due to habitat loss, hunting, and other anthropogenic factors. In this talk, I describe how my research explores the behavioral flexibility and demographic patterns of chimpanzees living in the Anthropocene.

The University achieved an overall 5 stars in the QS World University Rankings 2020
UK Sports University of the Year 2020 (Times Higher Good University Guide)
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC 011159.